PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Without Embeded Player

Capt D
02-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Hello
Can you stream Audio or Video without embeding a Quicktime or Realplayer "Player" in your web page.

I've gotten both Darwin and Realplayer to stream Audio/Video by embeding the player in a page. However, I have a client who wants to use a simple text link to each of his songs, that when clicked would stream the .mp3 to the browser. I'm using Darwin since it plays mp3's but, when you click on the text link (which is the name of song) the song downloads then plays.

I understand that I'm missing some code that tells the or link or browser "hey use Darwin Streaming Server to play this file" But, I have no idea where to start

Just out of curosity, has anyone built a Flash MP3 player and gotten it to work with either one of the streaming services????

Thanks
Dan

jalal
02-24-2005, 10:52 AM
You can stream mp3's using an .m3u link. An .m3u is basically a play list and can point to one (or more) mp3s.
As to whether it streams or not, it will depend on how the recipient has their browser set up, but I think that most browsers have .m3u set to call up WinAmp or something and then stream the file. I don't have Windows tho, so I can't test that here.

Capt D
02-24-2005, 07:07 PM
Could you be more specific or give a code example. I've started looking on the web but haven't found a code example yet.
Thanks

jalal
02-25-2005, 01:50 AM
Go to http://www.google.com/

Type in "Streaming mp3 files"

Try the first hit at developingwebs.net.

HTH

Capt D
02-25-2005, 05:22 AM
I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. It works perfect!

I do feel like a complete nitwit that it was so simple and that I didn't find it on my own while searching on Google. But, this is what makes Forums like this one and others such a big help.

This particular snippet of code wasn't in either of Dreamweaver books I own either.

Thanks and Be Blessed
Dan

jalal
02-25-2005, 08:40 AM
Glad it worked!

Good to bring a little more steaming music into the world... :)