PDA

View Full Version : What will Zend do for me?

blakekr
02-16-2005, 10:50 AM
Sorry, I'd never heard of Zend or Ioncube but I'd really like my sites to be faster.

I just started interpreting my .html pages as php so I can use includes without throwing away the pagerank on established .html pages.

I also have a php/mysql shopping cart that isn't very fast.

Will installing Zend and upgrading php/mysql (as recently offered by Westhost) help these run faster? Sorry for the really basic question.

Thanks,
Blake

wildjokerdesign
02-16-2005, 02:27 PM
If you have not upgraded the you php then the old setup of Zend and the optimizaition is still intact. You really need to upgrade your php to version 4.0.10 (hope I got that version right) for security reasons. This does change the Zend set up but I have not noticed any changes in php speed since doing it. My speeds are pretty good although I does get a bit sluggish at times when traffic is high. Don't think that really has anything to do with Zend at all at this point.

I would suggest that you do not upgrade your MySQL. I don't think that the newer version helps much with speed or at least that is what I have been able to glean in my reading. Seems to be more suited for those who are developeing. So far no one has corrected me on this thought but willing to change my mind if anyone has any input. :)

My further thoughts on the php upgrade is that I can't see WH doing something within the upgrade that would slow things down since it has been a pretty big concern with many. If anything I would think they would have made changes to try and help the speed.

torrin
02-16-2005, 03:53 PM
You really need to upgrade your php to version 4.0.10 (hope I got that version right) for security reasons.

4.3.10 :P The way things are released in the open source community, that version will probably be old soon anyway.

As for zend, I haven't seen a speed decrease since I upgraded at all. My site isn't high traffic though.

xanzi
02-16-2005, 09:40 PM
I haven't seen a speed decrease, but the speed before the upgrade was pretty bad. It's a bit painful when compared to my old account with iPowerWeb. Right now, there isn't really much traffic, but I'm kind of fearing what things will be like if there ever is...

Anyone have any tips for speeding up PHP?