PDA

View Full Version : Free content management script: phpwcms

evetommy
02-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Hi all,

I read about this great php content management script you can download at:
http://www.phpwcms.de

It's one of the highest rated free open source cms programs.
However I can't get it to work on my westhost webspace. Anyone else tried it out or knows about another great CMS-script i can use?

Thanks for your help!

xanzi
02-14-2005, 10:53 PM
Hmm. Don't see any reason why it shouldn't work on Westhost. Would try it out, but I don't have the time. Sorry.

Some other great CMSs are Xoops and Mambo, depending what you want exactly.

jalal
02-15-2005, 01:48 AM
It seems like phpwcms hasn't really been released yet (its still a development version). I'd suggest looking at something a bit more established.
Good range of CMS' at: opensourcecms.com

You can test drive them as well.

If you want something similar, not a full featured CMS, but a good way to post articles, then you may want to check out Wordpress.

xanzi
02-15-2005, 10:51 PM
No, it's version 2 of phpwcms that's in development. 1.x is stable and fairly widely used. In fact, it's on opensourcecms.com.

But I agree. Test driving them all and seeing which is best for you really is the best way to pick one.

I'm also a big fan of Wordpress. For my latest project, I'm taking Wordpress and enhancing it so that it's a blog/cms blend. It's working out quite well.

wildjokerdesign
02-16-2005, 07:50 AM
I like wordpress also and have done what xanzi has done with enhanceing it on one site. Worked pretty well. The only problem I had was the comments feature started to get slammed by spammers and even disableing the ability didn't seem to stop the attempts... i.e. I still got the email messages to come approve the comments even ones that where not attached to real existing post. I ended up removeing the comments php file. Sure there was a better fix but since the user did not want that ability figured that was the easy way. :)

xanzi
02-16-2005, 10:42 AM
Well hopefully Google's nofollow initiative will do something about the spamming. If not, there are some good tools out there that help, like OSA.

jalal
02-16-2005, 02:17 PM
There is new Wordpress just release (1.5 'Strayhorn') and part of that is a couple of anti-spam plugins that work really well.
You can also add a 'capcha' image to make it impossible to spam.

I've been running the beta and gamma of wordpress for a while and it is well worth upgrading if you are using it.

wildjokerdesign
02-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks guys, I'll check out both suggestions. Need to go Google OSA since I got lost on that one. More then likely I'll go "Oh.. ok that's what it stands for!" :)

Jalal are you running the beta and gamma on a live site or just in testing? Do you feel they are stable enough?

jalal
02-16-2005, 03:09 PM
codeworks.gnomedia.com is running on 1.5 as drawn down from the CVS server. Rock solid so far.

Other sites are still using 1.2, but new sites from now on will use 1.5. Also note an article on my site on how strip down Wordpress and create Wordpress Lite, it may help if you just need a simple installation.

torrin
02-16-2005, 04:11 PM
There is new Wordpress just release (1.5 'Strayhorn') and part of that is a couple of anti-spam plugins that work really well.
You can also add a 'capcha' image to make it impossible to spam.

In case anybody was wondering where this 'capcha' image plugin is . . .

http://dev.wp-plugins.org/wiki/AuthImage

xanzi
02-16-2005, 09:35 PM
The Wordpress gammas were as stable as anything I've seen. The stable version is out now, though, so I don't see any reason why you'd use the gamma...

Ah! I'd read that article, jalal. Nice to know you use Westhost.

jalal
02-17-2005, 02:16 AM
The stable version only came out yesterday... !

8)

franswaa
09-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Did anyone ever figure out why phpwCMS would not work??

Also has anyone tried typo3 CMS?

i cannot seem to get either one of these free open source CMS systems to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,