PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Perl

adpwl1
02-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Has/does anyone have a doc on upgrading PERL on the WH VPS's to PERL 5.8.6?

Thanks!

klamathsystems
02-24-2005, 12:59 PM
Hi,

I've been trying just that thing recently, though I've run into some trouble.

'make test' fails on io_multihomed.t and io_sock.t and then hangs on 450_service

They all seem to be related to some weird problem with being unable to connect to localhost. I've got the io_sock.t tests to pass using my hostname as a substitute for localhost (or 127.0.0.1) but that doesn't seem to work for io_multihomed.t

450_service.t wants to skip, because it doesn't detect IO::Socket, but it doesn't go on.

I think it might be okay to force, but I haven't been able to test this out yet (and it may mean perl without sockets. I've seen similar bugs mentioned on cygwin/perl having to do with calling fork(), so it may be some silliness between fork() and sockets and localhost which is getting confused by the "virtualness" of the server.

If this doesn't make sense, or if you're not seeing these problems, just download perl and run: Configure -d && make && make test && make install

good luck.

klamathsystems
02-24-2005, 05:24 PM
One more problem after gettting through all the tests:
(skipped the three listed above)

mkdir /usr/local/lib/perl5: Permission denied at installperl line 47

It looks like this is a showstopper with the default config, since /usr/local/lib is owned by root, not my vuser account. I will look into changing the config, however, it appears I have a working perl in the build directory, but I wouldn't trust anything mission critical with it yet.

WestHost - TErnstrom
07-20-2005, 10:59 AM
We are beginning the process of getting a Perl upgrade out to our clients, but we seek your opinions on the matter.
Please view this thread: http://forums.westhost.com/showthread.php?t=8369

Thanks for your input!