PDA

View Full Version : Resetting whole site

TheTroyster
02-01-2005, 06:48 PM
I am re-starting a site, and want a clean slate to work with, what is the best way to get this done in WH2.0?

jalal
02-02-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm not sure what you mean exactly... but if you want to start with a blank site, I guess you just remove your .html files and so on.
Or do I misunderstand your question... :(

TheTroyster
02-02-2005, 03:32 PM
No, you are right, but I don't want to erase something I shouldn't, and I don't remember what's mine in there anymore. IOW, it's the "and so on" I am not clear on.
Thanks for your help.

nsc
02-02-2005, 07:47 PM
If I understand correctly, you have installed a dozen of applications, you have changed many config files on the VPS and you want to remove everything you changed/added and start a fresh site without having to remember what you have changed and where.

What I would do is this:

I would grab the oldest full VPS backup I had and using the Site Manager 2.0 I would restore that backup.

Then I would use the SSH prompt to find all files changed after a certain date, i.e. the day after I signed up.

Some files in the www directory are needed by WestHost Site Manager or utilities, like the fm (file manager) or pma (phpMyAdmin 2.6).

jalal
02-03-2005, 02:24 AM
If I remember correctly, the original files read something like this:

plugins
fm
cgi-bin
manager.html
manager
vdsbackup
users
master.html
poweredby.png

which is something I've always found very annoying. Why can't we start with an empty html directory? Why do I, and my customers, have to trip over all this other administrative junk in the server root?

wildjokerdesign
02-03-2005, 07:18 AM
I do have a copy of what is part of an original install on my main computer... or at least the www directory. I'll try to give it a look and let you know for sure but what Jalal has posted sounds right. I think you would want to go in an un-install any Apps via the Site Manager before removeing any files that you may have installed.

I'll be setting up a new account soon and well try to take a closer look at what is in all areas before I start to upload and change.

WestHost - MMellor
02-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Hello Troyster,

If you want to start all the way from scratch, you can call our accounts department and we can delete and recreate your account for you. This is a bit drastic but it definitely gives you a clean slate to start out with. Let me know if you have any questions on that.