PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to WH2.0

TheTroyster
02-01-2005, 06:14 PM
I have asked for the upgrade to 2.0 for my long dormant website, and am curious to know if anyone else has gone through this recently and if I can look forward to a smooth transition or not.

SJP
02-04-2005, 10:24 PM
I recently completed the upgrade myself and except for a week or so downtime went fairly smooth. If your site is dormant this would be a good time. But, I guess if you're asking to wait for the upgrade tool or do it yourself the answer can only depend on how apt you are at setting the site up from scratch since you are essentially given a blank slate. The WH people make it sound scary (No support if things go berserk), but they have to provide a functioning 2.0 account so unless you're really a novice and can't tell where the malfunction is - their back is to the wall.

SJP

secbul
05-11-2005, 04:07 PM
I am also at WH1, and i am waiting the upgrade.
Someone must recognize us and tell us "Hey we did not forget you, come on your site is now at WH2"

:cry:

secbul

gx2000
05-27-2005, 05:49 AM
I noticed now that WestHost wants to charge to migrate from 1.0 to 2.0 now. I had requested ALL of my 1.0 accounts be moved over, gosh..over a year ago! Did they wait this long so they can say that it is long over due and they can charge us $25 - $50!

https://corp.westhost.com/upgrade2/

I have a site that uses Miva Merchant and do not want to do the migration myself for that reason. So I kept asking WestHost to do it, over and over. They kept saying that will do it in time but it was not a priority. Hmmm, now i see why.

Can someone tell me when they decided to charge folks for the move?

blender
05-27-2005, 10:43 AM
Yeah I thought it was strange that they would charge as well, but the person I talked to pointed out that it would be overwhelmingly difficult to write a program that would upgrade every single account flawlessly due to all of the customizations that people can make on their accounts. You can still upgrade your account manually for free if you want, but this seems like a nice service to offer for those who are anxious to get on 2.0 but hesitant to do it themselves. And with the 5 months of free hosting they are offering during this month (sign up by the end of the month (May 31)), this is a good time to upgrade whether you do it manually or have them do it for you. The way I see it, I'm giving them money every month anyway, and they are offering 5 months free if I move this month, so even if I pay them to do the upgrade for me I'll still end up with a few months free in the end. I would suspect that depending on which hosting plan someone is on that they would at least break even.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents.

allyn
05-27-2005, 04:15 PM
i just upgraded myself this week. for a simple site it would be very easy. the more complicated the site (mysql, procmail, etc) the more difficult it would be.

i found that the site manager works better in internet explorer than mozilla. i found that i had applications that weren't ready for php5. the biggest annoyance with wh2 is the "where is my home directory" ambiguity and a few missing command-line utilities.

for the amount of work it takes to move a complicated site (at least manually), $50 isn't that unreasonable.

Bobo
05-29-2005, 10:12 PM
...except for the fact that people are paying for something that was promised to them for free!

WestHost has a bad habit of offering things that they can't deliver and then retracting their offers.

flyskater
05-30-2005, 11:03 AM
...except for the fact that people are paying for something that was promised to them for free!

WestHost has a bad habit of offering things that they can't deliver and then retracting their offers.

Totally agree with you. Paying $25-50 move to 2.0 compared to other webhost that would have done it for free is something. Also, I am paying more for an outdated system and webhosting plan compared to their new price plan with year 2001 specs.

I think it's time for me to move to a new webhosting company.

WestHost - MPlatis
06-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Can someone tell me when they decided to charge folks for the move?

When we first started offering the free months as an incentive for clients that are still on the 1.0 system to get to the 2.0 system, we found that some did not want to do it themselves and that is why we decided to offer a paid service. You can either have us do it and pay for it, do it yourself, or wait for the upgrade tool to be completed. Any plans we previously had for the tool have been postponed indefinantely.

Bobo
06-04-2005, 03:45 PM
upgrade tool = vaporware