PDA

View Full Version : couple of questions regarding emails generated

GoRaiders007
01-30-2005, 09:19 PM
Howdy All,
I have an application that is kicked off by cron to email users of autodiary.net some friendly reminders. I've had two issues I don't know how to resolve.

1) Some email clients treat the email as spam (I think hotmail and other large webmail service providers.) So the user may not be getting their reminders. Some users have complained to me of this. Any thing I can tweak?

2) The email is sent to an individual using sendmail with a From address of 'DiaryMaster@autodiary.net", yet the emails are received in the client as being from "Diary.Master@westhost48.westhost.net". Not a huge concern unless its related to issue #1 above. But it would look more professional if the address showed up as from DiaryMaster@autodiary.net. Note: the DiaryMaster is not a real POP acccount. Its only used via the automatic notices in the application.

Thanks,
James

jalal
01-31-2005, 01:35 AM
I guess the big question is, and may lead to the solution: What are you using to send the emails out?

GoRaiders007
01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi Jalal. Thanks for replying.
I'm using sendmail (/usr/bin/sendmail) and giving it parameters for Subject, To, From, MIME_Version, Content-type. I'm thinking that the Hotmail users just have their spam filter set to filter out most unknown emails. I'll check into Hotmails help pages and see if I can find anything.

thanks,
James

jalal
01-31-2005, 04:17 PM
What I meant by 'what are you using' is more a question of are you running a script that calls sendmail, and if so, who is that script run as and so on.
All sending of emails uses sendmail, so that information doesn't help much....
;)

wildjokerdesign
01-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Depending on your script as Jalal mentioned you may need to be setting some extra stuff. I think HotMail may be checking mail against the new SPF: Sender Policy Framework. http://spf.pobox.com/ Check out the What To Do page. Under ISPs, Inform Your Users look at websites that generate email. It may not be the problem but I have these things in place and don't have problems with my scripts that send out.

GoRaiders007
01-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Jalal,
To answer your question, the application that calls sendmail is an executable (written in C, not a script). The ap is run as a the default user of autodiary (not root user) and the permissions are set for RX for UGO. The ap is run form the autodiary home dir. Where you guessing that its a permissions problem?

Wildjokerdesign,
I'll check into the info you gave me regarding SPF and Hotmail. Give me some time to check and I'll post soon.

Thanks,
James

wildjokerdesign
02-01-2005, 08:49 AM
I don't know if this applies with script written in C but in my php scripts I have added -f validemailaddress when sendmail is called. Otherwise I think it uses root as the email address which may be causeing problems.