PDA

View Full Version : version incompatabillity?

SedroRay
01-25-2005, 07:14 AM
from PHPMyAdmin FAQs:

[1.17a] I cannot connect to the MySQL server. It alaways returns the error message, "Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client"

You tried to access MySQL with an old MySQL client library. The version of your MySQL client library can be checked in your phpinfo() output.
In general, it should have at least the same minor version as your server - as mentioned in FAQ 1.17.
The only way to fix this problem is manually compiling php and its MySQL extension against a current MySQL client library.
If you still face this problem, please compile your MySQL client library against the same or a newer MySQL release.
I am a tyro. I have not used a database since dBaseIII in '92. I am trying to set up PHP and mySQL on my laptop (I am a long haul truck driver, and I want to develop my site on my laptop). I have installed apache_2.0.52-win32-x86-no_ssl.msi, php-4.3.10-Win32.zip, mysql-4.1.9-win32.zip, and phpMyAdmin 2.6.0-pl3, and I am encountering the problem described above.

Does this mean that my versions of PHP and mySQL are not compatible with each other, or only that this combo is not compatible with phpMyAdmin?

I am running Windoze, and lack the capability to compile my own compatible versions. How can I resolve this problem?

jalal
01-25-2005, 07:32 AM
I don't have a solution, but maybe some further insights may help.

MySQL (unlike DBase) comes as a server and a client. The main part is the server and that usually runs as a daemon (under Unix) and as a service (under Windows). When you download the MySQL app from their website you will get the server and the client together, the client is used to make queries on the server, which returns the data.
Separating it into server and client means that other programs can also be clients and in fact, PHP has a MySQL client built in to it.

Your problem is that the client that is built into your version of PHP is not compatible with the MySQL server that is running and so you get an error.

There are various solutions to this. One is to download and install an older version of MySQL (such as MySQL 3.23) which is what PHP is expecting I think.
The other option (which is reasonably easy under Unix and hellishly impossible under Windows) is to recompile PHP from source and link it with the MySQL sources.
I would suggest trying the first option. You could check what version of MySQL is included in PHP, but I think 3.23 will work for you.

HTH

visible soul
01-26-2005, 03:12 PM
SedroRay-

I just installed the same setup (same versions of all software) that you have on Windows XP. I had the exact same phpMyAdmin error. The solution is to install mysql 4.0.23 instead of 4.1.9. That immediately fixed this issue for me.

SedroRay
02-12-2005, 12:06 AM
SedroRay-

I just installed the same setup (same versions of all software) that you have on Windows XP. I had the exact same phpMyAdmin error. The solution is to install mysql 4.0.23 instead of 4.1.9. That immediately fixed this issue for me.

Thank You very much. I had to fight with it (no config wiz this version, and has 4.1's docs), but it works now. :D

visible soul
02-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Thank You very much. I had to fight with it (no config wiz this version, and has 4.1's docs), but it works now. :D

Hey don't feel bad. I installed and reinstalled phpMyAdmin and mysql at least twice before I figured it out. :oops: And now I lost a hard drive this week so I have to do it all over again. At least I know how this time. :)