PDA

View Full Version : What happens when my quota is reached?

jalal
01-24-2005, 05:09 AM
For those of you who have wondered what happens when your reseller quota is reached (in my case the 80Gb bandwidth) I can now tell you.

Your site, and all your customers sites, go dead. Completely. As does all their email. And mine.
You no longer have access to the Reseller Manager.
:(

I need to purchase more bandwidth, which I've done, but unfortunately I have to wait for the Sales people to come in to the office as its not an automated thing.
And without having access to the Reseller Manager, its impossible to say what has gone wrong. I've bought more bandwidth because I know I've been at the 90% mark for the last couple of days, but ultimately I have to guess at the problem.
WIthout email (and without my clients having email) the normal means of communication aren't there, so I'm expecting a bunch of phone calls Real Soon Now!

:roll:

The moral of the story: Don't ignore the quota warnings!
Although with a WH Website package you have a small percentage (between hard and soft limits) with the Reseller quota, its a hard limit.

wildjokerdesign
01-24-2005, 07:27 AM
Sorry to hear that Jalal. I hope they get you up and running quickly. So I take it that live tech support can't increase your bandwidth? It would be nice to be able to choose to have bandwidth automaticlly added although I can kind of see WH side of that since if bandwidth was running out of control this could add up really fast.

Like you say I guess the best is to go ahead and buy extra bandwidth when you see it hit around 90%.

web1x
01-24-2005, 07:12 PM
WH lost one of its servers for most of today. Perhaps your site was on that server. It was wdclnx40 (69.36.161.140). It might not have been a bandwidth issue after all.

Or maybe your excessive bandwidth hogging brought the server to it's knees ?!?! :lol:

jalal
01-25-2005, 03:27 AM
Well, it wasn't a site... it was a Reseller Package, which means that it has sites spread over a range of servers, and also the Reseller Manager itself... everything!

If my bandwidth hogging brought WH to its knees, they need to do a little infrastructure investment!

One of my clients is releasing a new CD in April, and they decided to offer the CD as a RealAudio stream for january on condition that people would dontate to Tsunami Relief if they listened to it. It pulled in about 1500 donations and burned up about 80Gb of bandwidth.
I realised after a couple of weeks that it helps a lot to reduce the sample rate of the stream, the first couple of weeks had a high quality stream and that is what burned me.

Live and learn, all back to normal now. The trouble is, I've had to buy extra bandwidth and there is, as far as I know, no way of giving it back, so I'm stuck with paying for a lot of bandwidth that I probably won't need just to cover the one month that I needed it.
I'm not sure how to deal with that. The only possibility that I can think of is to move all my sites out of the package, cancel the package, re-purchase a Reseller Package with what I need and then move all the sites back. And then I would need to have a good reason to move them back to WH. But I'll think long and hard before leaving WH, they've been good so far.

wildjokerdesign
01-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Jalal, I thought you could buy extra bandwidth for just one month if you found yourself going over... is that not the case?

jalal
01-25-2005, 07:44 AM
I couldn't find a way of doing it.
But, its not very clear on the add-on order form, so maybe it will come clear when I get my credit card statement, and see if they have billed me for the year (which is how my reseller account is billed) or by the month.
Stay tuned!
8)

Corrado Fiore
01-25-2005, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hear that you had so much trouble. Forcing you to keep an add-on on your package is not definitely WH-style... afaik there are forms for requesting add-ons removal, so I hope it was just a misunderstanding.

Keep us informed.

Ciao,
Corrado

jalal
01-26-2005, 02:32 AM
Seems I have to purchase a whole years worth of bandwidth. Or, rather, up until the end of my billing period, which in my case is nearly a year.
I think it is possible to downgrade my account (Reseller 3 to 2 for example) but I don't know if that loses the extra bandwidth. I couldn't find anything for removing add-ons, if you remember where you saw that, it would be useful.

cheers

Corrado Fiore
01-27-2005, 01:42 AM
This is the form I was thinking about:

Cancellation Request Form
https://corp.westhost.com/cancel/

But that doesn't apply to your case: if you are a reseller, you must contact directly the billing department (billing at westhost dot com).

When I decided to cancel custom DNS for a dedicated server, they asked me to specify the day of expiration and credited me for the amount I didn't use. Hope their policy is still the same.

Cheers,
Corrado

jalal
01-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Thanks for the info Corrado, I'll contact them when I'm ready to 'lose' some bandwidth.
Right now I've got my fingers crossed that what I have will last till the end of the month without having to buy some more... :)

WestHost - TErnstrom
01-28-2005, 09:02 AM
Jalal,

I am sorry to hear about your bandwidth troubles. You are correct there are no hard and soft limits for Resellers. Once you hit 100%, you and all of your client accounts are shut down. It is good advice to head the 90% warnings.

As far as purchasing additional bandwidth, you are correct, there is no way to request it just for one month. The extra bandwidth is added to your reseller account, and it is yours until you call and cancel it.
We understand that sometimes additional bandwidth is only needed for a short time, and we apologize for the limitations as they are now. However, if you find that you no longer need the extra bandwidth, simply call our Billing Department (1-800-222-2165 Ext. 295) and request that your bandwidth add-on be removed. They will credit your account for unused bandwidth that you've already paid for.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

jalal
01-28-2005, 09:30 AM
Tina
Thanks, this is great news!
I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping that I'm going to make it over the next three days (till the end of the month) without buying more...

thanx
jalal