PDA

View Full Version : Zen Cart survey

Girl.Geek.Nascent
01-22-2005, 04:58 AM
Hello, thinking of trying out zen cart, I would like to know what kind of experience anyone using it has had, good or bad, what kind of glitches, breakdowns, or pure joy have you experienced?

Thanks!

wildjokerdesign
03-01-2005, 12:23 PM
I know this is a bit late but... right now I am working with a WH client trying to upgrade thier Zen Cart. Unless I am missing something it is a nightmare. From what I can tell I have to modify over 150 files with over 200 changes. Granted this is a version change of about 3 steps but still.

I do know that it took the user about a month to get the cart installed in the first place which is why they are asking me for help. The documentation says "3 Easy Steps"... not!

If anyone else has had some experiance with this I would love to hear their input.

Girl.Geek.Nascent
03-10-2005, 01:42 PM
yes, it is 3 easy steps .... and then all the file changes and oh by the way it doesnt work with authorize.net unless you do some fancy coding, which negates the 3 easy steps and user friendly idea ... but hey, they say just use Paypal and dont worry about it! no matter if you want a professional store that accepts credit cards!

And the easy template play ..... sheesh! these people writing the documentation need to step back and rewrite everything from the perspective of a person with no php experience because they really are misleading.

It's a really nice idea, if only it worked as simply as they say.

Grrrrrr......

burk
03-11-2005, 05:25 PM
I downed a version in Jan and had to do an update already. It took about 2 hours using winmerge ... still, it isn't what I want to spend my time on.

I used the classic folders where I could. From now on I'll be puttind a comment line into every module I change that says changed by me. Next time through winmerge I'll know if I have to do anything.

You can do it in three easy steps - problem is you are no where near to where you want to be. A setup that allows for changes in the headers, footers etc (things that everybody is going to change anyway) is needed. Really, who uses Zen Cart, OSC etc, etc as the headers and footers. For everone to waste time on this is nonsense.

Having said that, I'm pretty happy with Zen Cart. Support actually exists at Zen ... not at OSC.

blessisaacola
10-18-2005, 10:57 PM
A very happy Zen Cart user here and it is actually pretty easy to install and modify. As long as you use the override system, upgrading is a piece of cake. We have been using Zen Cart for a while and very happy with it.

Checkout Online Store (http://www.clevershoppers.com)