PDA

View Full Version : Multiple BBs for multiple domains?

WolfStar76
01-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Hello all, new Westhoster here, signed up over the Holidays on the special they were running.

I run a few websites here and there and have never used a VPS before, so please don't hit me too hard for asking what's likely a simple question.

I have 2-3 domains I'd like to move over to my space (and have started to migrate the one already). On my old host I've been using a (crappy) ASP forum. I'd like to switch to phpBB, but I also want to be able to run a separate phpBB for another of my sites on the same VPS.

I'm *guessing* that I'll need a separate phpBB install for each of the domains (and plan to user /var/www/html/domaina/forum and ../domainb/forum accordingly), but wanted to know about MySQL and how that will be affected. Will I need two installs of MySQL? Just one install with 2 DBs?

And of course, most importantly. . . how do I setup the DBs and things for the least amount of hassle?

I've already established a separate set of folders for the site I want to use (var/www/html/mydomain) and set that to be the root folder for the "new" domain. Ideally, I'd like users to access the forum at www.domain.com/forum (though, a subdomain of forum.domain.com won't hurt none and could be easy to setup).

Anyway - I'm just green enough to php, VPS, and shells to be dangerous, and could use a guiding hand in this.

Once I get my head around this and know where to start the rest will, hopefully, start to click and I won't have to bother everyone too much in the future. ;)

torrin
01-18-2005, 01:05 PM
You only need one install of MySQL. If I remember correctly, you don't even need 2 databases (phpbb uses prefixes for table names, I think), but I recommend creating 2. In fact, I'd use a different user and password for each database also. That just allows for some more security.

To set it up, just install phpmyadmin, create 2 databases with it, create 2 users with it, then give each user access to 1 of the databases. I'm sorry I can't get more specific, I'm not in a place where I have access to it.

WolfStar76
01-18-2005, 01:07 PM
That's okay, it's a start and I'll go give it a shot right now. :)

wildjokerdesign
01-18-2005, 07:32 PM
In phpMyAdmin to get to where you can set up a new user click on the Permissions link on the entry page. Then you should see the link to create a new user about half way down the page. When I create a new user for use with one database I leave the Global Permissions blank. Then you can set up permissions for just the specific database. Set host for the new user to "localhost".

If you run into any problems let us know. I have been messing with this quite a bit recently so I should be able to help. Torrin has a handle on it also so hopefully between the to of us we can get you set up.

It sounds like you have a handle on the other aspects of setting things up.