PDA

View Full Version : what is a cron job? help please.

unsquare
01-17-2005, 09:53 PM
I working with easymoblog. I have everything working as their instrustions say, however when I get to step 5. well, I have no idea what it is talking about. I get the idea, but I have no idea how to implement it.

Following is a quote from http://www.easymoblog.org/install.php

5. CRON JOB

In order to work properly, you have to schedule the script

easymoblog-x.x/batch/easymoblog_batch.php

You simply have to add a line to your crontab file. For example, if you want to schedule the batch every 10 minutes:

*/10 * * * * /path/to/php -q /path/to/easymoblog_batch.php

Any help would be appreciated.[/url]

jalal
01-18-2005, 01:57 AM
To do this you will need to login to your site using an SSH client (Putty works well under Windows) and then edit your crontab file using the 'editcron -e' command.
You can then enter the line you have into that. There is no need to restart anything, it will automatically be picked up by cron. (Cron checks every minute for changes).

Although you will need to change the line to read:

*/10 * * * * /bin/php -q /path/to/easymoblog_batch.php
and use the correct path to the php file.

HTH

unsquare
01-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Thanks Jalal. I'll try that today.

well, should I wait until westhost moves my client's hosting to the v2.0 servers? I just put the request in last night. They were taking their sweet time getting their old clients moved over.

Wo in Deutschland leben Sie?

unsquare
01-18-2005, 07:30 AM
when I try that in putty, I type the following (after I log in to the server):

editcron -e

I get:

bash: command not found

I'm sure it is a syntax problem...but I don't know enough to figure out what it is.

wildjokerdesign
01-18-2005, 07:59 AM
I think your problem may be that your account has not been upgraded to 2.0 yet. I don't think we had access to the cron file on the old setup. I may be wrong about that but I think that WH support would add it for you if you could tell them what you needed.

jalal
01-18-2005, 09:42 AM
Shawn is right, you'll need to wait, patiently, for WH to upgrade you.

(Living in Freiburg... hoch schwarzwald).

unsquare
01-18-2005, 09:56 AM
Shawn is right, you'll need to wait, patiently, for WH to upgrade you.

(Living in Freiburg... hoch schwarzwald).

Thanks for the info. How long does Westhost take to process a transfer?

I think I drove through Frieburg in 1988 when driving from Zurich to Frankfurt. Amazingly beautiful area. If I had a better grasp on the language, I'd move there in a heartbeat!

jalal
01-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Hey I got no grasp of the language (I'm from UK originally) but thats fine, I get by.

Oh, and Westhost should only take a day or two to transfer you, stay on their case.