PDA

View Full Version : Tip - Opening a VDSBACKUP file

j103c
01-06-2005, 09:55 AM
This is a tip for anyone who runs into the same situation:

I have a VDSBACKUP file that contains a single html file I wanted to get to. I tried to get into the file, but thought I was stuck just uploading a 200+ meg file through a browser (freezing the website as well) to get to the small html file I wanted.

Here are the easy steps to get into it on a Linux box:

unzip ./VDSBACKUP-domain-2004-11-18-19-28.tgz

You will be prompted for the password you used to encrypt the file in the WestHost web interface. Enter that, then a BackUp.tar file will be created. After that, simply:

tar -xf BackUp.tar

The directory structure and files you backed up will then be created within the current directory you have the BackUp.tar file in.

I'm sure this is a no-brainer to unix/linux gurus, but maybe this will be helpful to others at my level. I guess I should mention that I did this on a SuSE 9.1 Pro machine, with unzip version 5.50 just in case someone runs into issues.

rbayless
01-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Do you not just download it to your computer when you create the backup file anyways?

Richard

j103c
01-07-2005, 07:13 AM
Yes, you do download the backup file. However, if you want to use WestHost's restore functionality, you have to upload the file back to the server to get however much or little you want restored.

So I had the 200+ meg backup file on my personal drive, but I just wanted a single html file out of it, and didn't want to have to upload the backup file to the server just to get at it. Make sense?

I know this isn't a huge tip, but it would have helped me - so maybe it might help someone else. :)

nsc
01-07-2005, 08:29 AM
It is a useful tip, thank you for posting it!