PDA

View Full Version : Fritz's MySQL, PHP & phpMyAdmin Upgrade Instructions

coppercup
01-05-2005, 11:16 AM
:idea:

After bumbling for weeks (getting no actual production done) I have developed a complete set of instructions for upgrading a WestHost VPS to MySQL 4.x, PHP 4.x, and phpMyAdmin.

The instruction set, with thorough notes included, can be found in Rich Text Format here:

http://www.coppercupimages.com/FritzsMySqlPhpPhpMyAdminUpgradeInstructionsV1.rtf

As noted in the document, I am not an expert and can't make any guarantees, but I'm sure this information will be very helpful for those of you wanting to do the same thing; at least until WestHost gets this software updated.

If you can add useful information to what I have here, please let me know about it! :D

nsc
01-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Thank you very much for posting these instructions.

Just to note that a tar.gz file can be opened/uncompressed by issuing "tar -zxvf [filename]" and a tar.bz2 file needs "tar -jxvf [filename]". So there is no need to issue both gunzip and tar, because tar can call the gunzip with the z parameter. The unix tar utility was designed to make tape backups easy by placing many files and directories into a single tar file.

Also, it is usually easier to use the pico editor rather than the vi. Issue: "pico [filename]" and after that you can save the file with CTRL+O and exit with CTRL+X.

coppercup
01-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Well, I just received an email from WestHost announcing Site Manager upgrades this weekend (Jan 8, 2005). Though the email does not specify that they will be upgrading PHP and MySQL, I just read a WestHost forum response from Wednesday saying that they will be upgraded next week. Putting two and two together, I can only assume they are doing it as part of the announced upgrade. That is great news! :P

Now, if only I hadn't just literally spent a whole month figuring out how to do these upgrades manually.... :?

Tom Howard
01-12-2005, 02:46 PM
I just got done talking to a WestHost tech:

Upgrades to PHP and MySQL may be available sometime in the future. If you need them soon I recommend you upgrade them yourself.

It's time to read your guide, I guess.

coppercup
01-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Yes…

Alas, I was sorely dissappointed to find that the upgrades weren't included. Seems to me we need those upgrades before we need more scripts, but…

Also, an important note that I have not had time to verify yet:

There is a step in my instructions to create a symbolic link to the mysql.sock in the /tmp directory, but I think that restarting the VPS at the end of the instructions may delete all items in the /tmp directory, so I've had to recreate that symbolic link over again after the restart.

I would like to figure out how to force PHP to look for the mysql.sock in it's default location, rather than the /tmp directory. Surely this can be done, but I haven't figured it out yet. I've tried different configure options when compiling PHP with no success.

Anyway, as soon as I get a chance I will update the instructions to mention this.

Thanks! Fritz

Armadillo
01-12-2005, 09:42 PM
I just got done talking to a WestHost tech:

Upgrades to PHP and MySQL may be available sometime in the future. If you need them soon I recommend you upgrade them yourself.

It's time to read your guide, I guess.
:x #@%&^*.

I guess I'll be using Coppercups guide.

Coppercup, is it possible to install Zend with the new PHP?

coppercup
01-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Coppercup, is it possible to install Zend with the new PHP?

The PHP configure script appears to be finding the existing Zend installation by default.

You can take a look at my phpinfo.php page here:
http://coppercupimages.com.yourtempsite.com/phpinfo.php

Thanks!

Armadillo
01-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Cool.
I didnt think the older version of Zend was compatable.
But it's working for you, so that's good.
Thanks Coppercup.

Now, I just need time to do the upgrade and some luck.