PDA

View Full Version : Dump Site Manager 2.0

CoffeyMate
12-29-2004, 10:20 PM
I wrote Christopher Russell on December 11th advising him that I'd just tried creating a new E-mail account. It was 2:35 p.m. when I clicked on the finish button. At 2:42 p.m. that EXTREMELY ANNOYING "Please Wait" popup was still being displayed and the new E-mail account still hadn't been created. I've tried off and on since the 11th to create a new E-mail address with the same results.

I've got a BellSouth FastAccess DSL account. Here are the results of some speed tests I just conducted.

Download Speed: 2.6 Mbps
Upload Speed: 342.5 Kbps

Download Speed: 2.2 Mbps
Upload Speed: 317.2 Kbps

Download Speed: 2.4 Mbps
Upload Speed: 312.6 Kbps

I don't think the problem with the SLUGGISHNESS of Site Manager 2.0 is on my end, and I don't think it's right that I should have to wait a month or two to see a substantial increase in the speed of Site Manager 2.0. It just plain s*cks.

How about cutting your losses and dumping it (Site Manager 2.0) in favor of something like cpanel (with Fantastico)?

I feel a little bit (but not a lot) better now...

CoffeyMate
12-31-2004, 01:08 AM
Hmmm..... Looked at an old posting of mine and it doesn't look like there's been very much much progress made on improving Site Manager 2.0 in almost 15 months.

Oh! Wait! Now refreshing the page makes that EXTREMELY ANNOYING "Please wait" box go away, but the action taken (e.g. creating a new E-mail account) DOESN'T occur.

Is there such a thing as backward progress?

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 3:36 pm
Post subject: Adding a New E-mail Address with Site Manager 2.0
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=875&highlight=

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just tried setting up a new E-mail account using Site Manager 2.0, but 10 minutes later after following the steps correctly that extremely annoying "Please wait" box is still just sitting there. Again, I thought pHp was supposed to load faster. C'mon WestHost, surely you can do better than Site Manager 2.0.

Addendum: I just discovered that if you refresh the page the nasty little "Please wait" box goes away and the action is completed. Shouldn't have to do that IMNSHO, but it works.

dansroka
01-04-2005, 06:34 AM
Try trying a different browser. I sometimes have problems (like this) with Safari, that clear up if I use FireFox.

Bobo
01-05-2005, 02:23 PM
slightly off topic.... what happened to Ensim? Didn't WestHost used to offer it?

wildjokerdesign
01-05-2005, 03:29 PM
slightly off topic.... what happened to Ensim? Didn't WestHost used to offer it?

I think they offer that with thier dedicated servers.

Tom Howard
01-05-2005, 04:29 PM
I thought so too, but I can't find any mention of it on the dedicated server (http://dedicated.westhost.com/) page. It looks like they decided to go with VPS technology instead.

From what I've read Ensim, CPanel, etc. don't work with Sphera. You can have one or the other, but not both.

wildjokerdesign
01-05-2005, 09:47 PM
It was in their anouncements in October http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13249#13249 I think you can have one or the other but not both.

Bobo
05-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Nope, Ensim is not available--contrary to what WestHost said. Yet another offer they didn't deliver on.

blender
05-31-2005, 08:16 AM
They did offer Ensim on their dedicated server plans for a while, but that offer must have ended a few months ago because I haven't seen it around.

wildjokerdesign
05-31-2005, 09:25 AM
Yes I think you could have one or the other but not both. I think they where running a special which is what blender may have seen. It could also be that WH decided to drop Ensim. I was just reading on another site that right now Ensim is getting dogged because they have not incorporated the security update of php to 4.3.11. Now this was round about info so who knows what the real story is but it does go to show that with what ever you go with there is always going to be those who do not like what you are doing or want something else.

WestHost - MPlatis
06-01-2005, 11:30 AM
We used to offer Ensim on our dedicated server offerings. Now we have Managed Dedicated Servers which have the 2.0 technology, something that is new to our Dedicated Server offerings. We do not offer Ensim anymore.

Lorel509
06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm on a Mac OS 10.3 and I have time to go do my dishes between loading ANY page on Westhost when using IE 5.2 for the Mac. I have another friend on Mac OS 10.0 who has the same problem with IE. But everything is cleared up and moves much faster with Firefox.