PDA

View Full Version : Two Domains & Two Websites on One VPS

cacheshier
12-21-2004, 11:42 PM
I have registered two different domains and I would like to maintain two seperate websites on my VPS. One for my business and one for personal purposes. How do I go about that best? Also can anyone explain the directory structure on my VPS? When I go into file manager I would like to know what is what and where to set up my second website and where and how to store files for FTP so that they are accessible to the intended users and the intended users only, etc. Thanks in advance for any help!

wildjokerdesign
12-22-2004, 07:10 AM
The web root for your main domain wich would be the one you set up when you started your account is located at /var/www/html/. That is the absolute path to from root without using any sym links (short cuts). If you where wanting to fallow the example of your main site you could set your second site (sub domain) to point to /var/www/html2. In reality you can point it to any place you want to or use the default that appears when you set up the sub domain via your Site Manager.

Your sub domain may not have all the same abilities as your main web site does but most things can be manipulated manually.

The thing you may notice the most is that you can not have joe@domainone.com and joe@domaintwo.com as two seperate email accounts. By default all mail that would be sent to joe whould go into the one account set up for joe@domainone.com. There are some threads and post on how you can manually change this but it can be quite involved.

Hope that helps some.