PDA

View Full Version : WestHost Concerns

skip_slade
12-20-2004, 11:52 AM
About one and a half years ago, I gave serious consideration to opening an account with WestHost. It was at this time that WestHost was actively migrating to the VPS system. The number of wildly irate to outright hostile posts on this forum was impressive.

Of real concern then was the lack of communication from this hosting company. It was apparent that they were under considerable duress and were using all of their available resources to correct a very bad situation. On that basis, I decided to set up my account elsewhere.

I'll soon be expanding my online presence and am again looking for a new host. I'm interested in knowing just how well WestHost ultimately handled its migration problems, how well its system has performed since then, and how responsive they currently are to requests and complaints. Any comments on these topics would be appreciated.

In particular, speed and uptime are the two components that almost everyone values over all others. In your opinion, how has WestHost fared in those two areas during the past year and a half?

I'm would also like to find out exactly what this organization is. How long has it been in continuous operation? Does it own all its own servers? If so, where are they located? How many accounts does WestHost currently hold? Do they host any major commercial sites?

As an organization, is WestHost generally courteous and attentive, or have they achieved that level of powerful indifference that defines most online service providers?

Thanks in advance.

Corrado Fiore
12-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Hi,

I'm currently a reseller for WH. I've been a customer for more than two years and, despite some minor problems, I overall consider WH one of the best and fairest hosting companies available. I've never had migration problems, since I had a dedicated server and then a couple of 2.0 VPS accounts.

how well its system has performed since then, and how responsive they currently are to requests and complaints.

Performance: very good.
Reliability: very good.
Customer service responsiveness: good on average, sometimes tickets may get "forgotten" and remain open. But I've always been able to get a response from WH.

In particular, speed and uptime are the two components that almost everyone values over all others. In your opinion, how has WestHost fared in those two areas during the past year and a half?

Excellent. There have been some downtimes - like for any other hosting company - but WH has always dealt promptly with them. I've never needed to ask for assistance on downtimes. They were always already resolving it.

I'm would also like to find out exactly what this organization is. How long has it been in continuous operation? Does it own all its own servers? If so, where are they located? How many accounts does WestHost currently hold? Do they host any major commercial sites?

See http://www.westhost.com/corpinfo.html and http://www.westhost.com/datacenter.html

As an organization, is WestHost generally courteous and attentive, or have they achieved that level of powerful indifference that defines most online service providers?

Still attentive, as far as I have experienced.

Apart from my personal opinions, consider this: a starter package is very economical, so I would give it a try. Ultimately, you're the best judge.

Hope this is of help to you.

Cheers,
Corrado

jalal
12-21-2004, 12:17 PM
I'll second Corrado in that.

I've been with Westhost for... er, ... many years and the company has had its ups and downs but has so far dealt with matters promply and courteously, so I'm still here.

If you look through the forums you will get the feel of how things are, and you will also see that there are many here who have been here for a while, and that is the best indication of a good hosting company.

MitchellSTL
12-22-2004, 08:47 PM
I have to agree as well. This is my fourth ISP host in the last two years and they are doing pretty good in my book. I have been with them for almost a month, but what actually sold me was was their support.

For example, I called their toll-free support about two weeks ago & I was put on hold for a few minutes. An actual person came on the phone (and he could speak English!). He apologized for the wait due to the high call volume. He stated that he was not a tech support guy, but would log a ticket for a support person to call me back within the hour. I was thinking "yeah right..." Well, the tech support tech DID call me back AND within 15 minutes. My actual problem took overnight to get resolved (I had to sleep, ya know).

The tech even went beyond of figuring out what I did wrong (I messed up my procmail)...even restored all of my emails for me.