PDA

View Full Version : Slow forums (phpBB2 and IkonBoard)

GamePlayHeaven
12-16-2004, 02:34 AM
The forums installed on my westhost space are sometimes (a lot lately) really slow. As in that you have to wait between 10 to 50 seconds before the thread/board you clicked shows up. And it's annoying enough to not want to use them anymore.
It's not just me experiencing this, but people from different countries over the world (so it doesn't sound connection related, unless it's a connection that everyone has to go through, close to the server).

Since the boards use different code (phpBB2=php and IkobBoard=cgi?), it has to be something else.
Both are installed on a MySQL database, so it's either MySQL or the server itself.

It's hard to test, since it's not always slow. I tried it half an hour ago, and it was super slow. I tried it just now, and it worked as it should (nice and quick).

So my question is:
- If it is MySQL, is there any easy way to test the speed?
- If it is the server, is there any easy way to check that (I tried pinging the server, which gave a 120ms ping time when the boards where slow).

Kind regards,
Michael

Armadillo
12-17-2004, 01:23 AM
I've had the same problem.
I had a YabbSE forum that I replaced with phpBB because it was slow.
The phpBB is also slow. I think it is mySQL.

I upgraded to mySQL 4.1.7 and it seems to be more consistant.

wildjokerdesign
12-17-2004, 07:09 AM
I upgraded to mySQL 4.1.7 and it seems to be more consistant.

Do you mean more consistant in being slow or do you think it helped your speed?

I have noticed this some with one of my boards but it is one that I have modded quite a bit and figured it may be that.

GamePlayHeaven
01-18-2005, 05:46 AM
They posted the upgrades for this Friday, let's hope that fixes it, because I'm actually starting to think about moving to another provider... I have to wait minutes before getting a page on the forums now sometimes :(

xanzi
01-18-2005, 06:13 PM
Yeah. I came from iPowerWeb to WestHost, and PHP software that ran fine on my old account is unbearably slow on my WestHost account. If the PHP and MySQL updates don't speed things up, I may have to take advantage of my 30-day money back guarantee.

GamePlayHeaven
01-19-2005, 12:23 AM
I actually got a "MySQL: Cannot connect to database" error this morning when clicking on a thread. Tried it again after that, and it worked (altho mega slow).

Something is definately VERY wrong with the current MySQL...

dv
01-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Just curious as I'd like to install YaBB shortly.

Thanks

blakekr
01-25-2005, 08:05 AM
I have trouble with sluggish mysql performance too. I love Westhost to bits, and I want to stay! But my sites are getting more and more DB-oriented and I need faster response times or I'll lose customers. I hope they'll comment on this and find a way to help our apps go faster.