PDA

View Full Version : problem installing CGI.pm

einty
11-03-2004, 10:51 AM
I have obtained the file and followed the instructions contained at http://stein.cshl.org/WWW/software/CGI/ but the 3rd step did not work.

% perl Makefile.PL
% make
% make install

I got the following message:

[/usr/local/perl/lib/site_perl/5.6.0/CGI.pm-3.04]$ make install
Cannot forceunlink /usr/local/perl/lib/5.6.0/CGI.pm: Operation not permitted at /usr/local/perl/lib/5.6.0/File/Find.pm line 505

As suggested, I tried again at root and got:

[/]$ make install
make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.

I suppose I must have done something wrong or failed to do something I should have. Help please.

jalal
11-03-2004, 04:19 PM
It's simply that you don't have permissions to modify the CGI.pm perl module in the /usr/local/perl/lib/5.6.0/ directory. You might have permissions in other places.
You may not need to install the CGI.pm module as it is already installed, but if you do, you will need to do it in another directory.
Follow the link in my signature and look for the article about Perl to get more details on what needs to be done.

"Trying again at root" is not what is needed, you need to "try again *as* root", which is not possible in a Westhost VDS.

HTH

einty
11-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the link to your very thorough article. Before going there, I am intigued by the likelihood that CGI.pm may already be installed. How can I verify that is working properly?

I have used the following lines in my script but nothing prints even though I know the file was uploaded:

use CGI;
$query = new CGI;
$filename = $query->param("thefile"); print "$filename";

jalal
11-04-2004, 12:59 AM
Try running the script from the shell:
$ perl myscript.pl

and then note the output. Perl will complain quite loudly if it can't find something.