PDA

View Full Version : Spam proof your website

WestHost - MMellor
10-25-2004, 10:40 AM
A question that we get asked all of the time in support is, how can I reduce the amount of spam that I get through my site. While there are no easy answers to this question, there are a couple of solutions that help to alleviate the problem.

1. Using a basic email script:

<script language=JavaScript>
<!--
document.write("YOUREMAIL" + "@" + "YOURDOMAIN.com");
//-->
</script>

2. Using a basic email script with link text:

<script language=JavaScript>
<!--
var username = "YOUREMAIL";
var hostname = "YOURDOMAIN.com";
var linktext = username + "@" + hostname;
document.write("<a href=" + "mail" + "to:" + username +
"@" + hostname + ">" + linktext + "</a>");
//-->
</script>

This script produces: YOUREMAIL@YOURDOMAIN.com

3. Using an inline JavaScript

<a href="#" onclick="JavaScript:window.location='mailto:'+'YOUREMAIL'+' @'+'YOURDOMAIN'+'.com'"> Your Link Text</a>

This script produces: Your Link Text

These are a couple of ideas that will bring down the amount of spam that you are getting through your website. If anybody has any questions on any of these please let me know.

SJP
02-04-2005, 11:14 PM
I have long since attempted to bolster interest for my way of tackling SPAM by offering snipets and not to great success probably because it was an incomplete solution and most of you are only interested in what works. This does. It's like the paper clip of anti-SPAM software. Simple yet so functional!

I have worked out all the details. You can use simple mailto: links to have entrances for whatever you want (INFO, HELP, etc) and not worry about SPAM or at least anywhere near the volume you've had to. You can download the file - cm.pl from my website sanjuanpersonals.com. The documentation is in POD format. I have this software running on two accounts. The E-mail link at http://www.urantiapersonals.org/ is wired up this way and if you want to try it out I'll get the email you originate and will reply so at least you can get a feel for it.

For WH 2.0 accounts this should be painless! If you have any difficulty I am glad to help out.

SJP

Corrado Fiore
02-07-2005, 01:29 AM
See also:

http://www.u.arizona.edu/~trw/spam/spam.htm

Works pretty well.

Corrado Fiore

SJP
02-07-2005, 04:54 AM
See also:

Yeah, but you see the difference is my way is an ongoing protection. Convoluting your email address so it can't be harvested doesn't do a thing for you after the fact except maybe serve to woo the visitor. And I can't figure out how spammers could be so lame to not have figured out how to reverse some of these quick fixes. Some of them are pretty dorky. Not this one. It's inventive.

My solution is infailable. :D

SJP

SJP
02-10-2005, 12:52 AM
I've put up my first cut of a web page that describes the program and the needed steps. http://www.sanjuanpersonals.com/cm.html .

SJP

SJP
07-19-2005, 01:59 AM
Hi. I have put my spam solution back online. I made it much more simple to implement and added much functionality. For instance you no longer have to muck with CRON and added support for forms. You can read all about it here:
http://www.sanjuanpersonals.com/ContactManager.html/
I won't remove it unless a spammer bribes me $$$ :-)

SJP

Maneuvers03
09-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Well I think the reason Spam Mail si able to fill up our Inbox With Trash Mails is because our Email address Can be View at any time just looking at the Page Source Code

In my Case I have Stopped The Spam Mail Using 2 Differents Techniques

1.- For The website , I like create a Mail form Sender Using Flash and PHP , In that way my Email Address is Hidden inside the shockwave file and for the spammer programs is imposible to see it , which means , those programs wont be able to send spam to my mail address

2.- if the page is unable to use flash technology and PHP , the best way is encryting the source Code , in that way spammers wont be able to read and catch any E-mail address

SJP
09-20-2005, 02:12 AM
Well I think the reason Spam Mail si able to fill up our Inbox With Trash Mails is because our Email address Can be View at any time just looking at the Page Source Code

Have you hunted for a domain name lately? They are getting exceedingly harder which means the probability of being correct is much higher. Spammers don't care if email messages bounce so why not guess? People like to use informative email addresses like info and sales. People remember it better? I don't know and with my way you don't have to care.

But, hey! If it works for you then great. Sorry to knock it.

SJP