PDA

View Full Version : Westhost Tech Support for OLD services.

Gnat B
10-21-2004, 12:59 PM
A few days ago I asked about the OLD BBS that Westhost used to offer. I found out that it was Matt's BBS: http://www.scriptarchive.com

I was wondering if Westhost still offered tech support for this old BBS. I am assuming that there may be some clients who continue to use this script.

Please let me know if it is possible to still get support for this script.

Thanks so much in advance :D

wildjokerdesign
10-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Last I heard they do not give support for it but encourage you to switch to phpBB. I worked with one WH client under this circumstance and got them switched to the phpBB. I know you don't want to use phpBB and did do quite a bit with the old WWW Board before they switched so I can try and help you out if there is something you need.

I will say that the script does seem to have quite a few bugs and is the main reason the WH client I worked with decided to change. They started getting odd post and some not posting at all. It also seems to get hit by spamm a lot.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Gnat B
10-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Thanks so much!

Yes, it seems buggy in the installation alone! I have installed and re-installed, plus checked my .pl script in SSH (it said the syntax was fine), but the only thing I can get is a blank screen!

If posts oft times didn't show up, then I definately don't want to use the script. I thought since it was once used by Westhost, it would be commendable.

I must admit, I am better at connecting to my database than I am with perl >.o Have you heard of any light scripts such as Matts which use SQL that are recommendable? I am on the hunt for one now.

For what I need, phpbb is really too much. There will only be a handful of us using the BBS, it will be in a password protected area of my site, plus I wanted something I could skin and customize to a greater degree. Running phpbb would require another log-in, that too was my attraction to Matt's script. I once ran a larger forum of about 300 members and for that phpbb was perfect ^^

Again, Thanks so much for your time :D

wildjokerdesign
10-22-2004, 06:05 AM
Not sure why you would get a blank screen on the WWWboard script. That is normally something that happens with a php script when it has a problem.

With phpBB2 you don't have to use the built in user login and could simply set it to have one forum and set the permissions to allow Guest to post. You can make it look like anything you want. Have you seen my install that is listed in my sig. It looks nothing like the original.

If you are compfortable with php and connectiing with the database it may be just as simple to write your own simple script. I can't think of any simple ones out there already but I'll keep my eye out for one.