PDA

View Full Version : can't access part of my domain

owen100
10-04-2004, 03:50 PM
This is wierd .....

Some parts of my site canaryforum.com are working fine but others I canīt access if I use the www....example

www.canaryforum.com/nephp
gives a 404 error

canaryforum.com/nephp
lets me in but the images and template use the www so they give a red x / 404 error

My forum normally has around 15 to 75 people in it but most of this evening's there's been nobody, hard to believe

I also changed the header a little on the forum and the new images I uploaded don't show, only the old images that used to be there in the new size dimension I entered

www.canaryforum.com/forums

This is obviously URGENT so I'll contact tech support but ideas here would be appreciated too.

WestHost - MMellor
10-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Hello Owen,

I just looked at the www.canaryforum.com/nephp and that comes up fine here, using my browser. Which browser are you using? I am using FireFox and so that might be why. There are some browsers out there that will not put in the www or the http for you. You have to type in the entire address or it will give you a 404 error. I also looked at your account and you have the www pointed correctly at your site. Keep us posted on your progress with this.

owen100
10-04-2004, 05:12 PM
That's wierd (still) - when I click on that www.canaryforum.com/nephp link or enter that (with the www) in my browser, I get my custom page not found.

I'm using IE6 Firefox and Opera (I normally use IE6 only but have the others to check how pages display when I make them).

I thought the images might be a local cache thing but that wouldn't explain how my loggin into my forum typing the www takes me to where all the members are viewing and without it takes me into a third dimension where I'm all alone!

It's 01:11am GMT here so I'm going to clear all my Internet cache, switch off and try again in the morning, I'll update then but I still have the problem at the moment.

wildjokerdesign
10-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Seems to be working on my end also. I checked via IE6 and Firefox. Both browsers change the address bar droping the www but all the links within the page have the www and retain it when I click on them.

Not sure on your forum but if the images you mention are the buttons at the top then I think like you they may not be displaying right. They looked a bit distorted. That would mean I think that the new images did not get uploaded to the server or that the images did and the change to your header did not.

visible soul
10-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Looks good from here in Firefox, IE and Opera...

owen100
10-05-2004, 06:45 AM
I've just had a brainwave - it looks very much like it's the stored cache from my cable provider? I remember someone telling me once that propegation may only start to show but the ADSL cache can take a couple of days to clear.

Anyways, if I access the various parts of my site using the canaryplaces.com or www.canaryplaces.com domain, I get it looking pretty much OK. If I've changed any images though over the last two days it looks a bit odd.

If I use the canaryforum.com or www.canaryforum.com domain then I'm getting through to the old DNS info or old site.

I found this out using my ftp client as if I connect using my dedicated IP I get into westhost but if I use canaryforum.com I'm going to my previous host.

So, if anyone else ever has this problem, I guess the asnwer is to wait an extra 24 - 48 hours for the cable cache to work its way out which is what I'll do.

Thanks for checking things for me though, if you hadn't I'd have spent the last 24 hours sat here uploading and going crazy.

WestHost - MMellor
10-06-2004, 08:29 AM
Owen,

I'm glad that you got that figured out. That actually happens to people all of the time, so don't feel bad about it. If you are ever wondering about propagation issues, a great place to go to is www.altavista.com and then to translate. You put in your url in the 'translate url', pick whatever language you want and then push enter. This will allow you to route your connection through somewhere else and your website should come up. This will give you a good idea if you are dealing with a propagation issue. There are much more accurate ways of doing this using dig commands, but this usually works.

There are probably some people reading this thread that are wondering what on earth we are talking about. A great write up on DNS is at : http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm Let us know if you have any other questions on this.