PDA

View Full Version : Multiple phpBB on domain?

cbalke
09-13-2004, 06:16 PM
Is this possible? I went and uploaded the files and folders from the phpBB.com site into a separate directory(for a proposed 2nd forum).

I went through the installation only to the point of naming the database. I entered the info I <thought> was correct but it kept giving me a cannot connect to database error.

Is there a default path and name for the database? As you may notice, I'm not very strong in database knowledge so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Chris

wildjokerdesign
09-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Are you wanting to use the same database as your first board or do you want to use a sperate one?

If you are wanting to use a seperate one then you need to first create it using phpMyAdmin.

If you want to use the same one then take a look at the config.php file in your original board to check the settings. The default WH setup is as follows:
Host: localhost
Database: phpBB
User: root
password: Only you know.

cbalke
09-13-2004, 07:23 PM
Would there be a difference if I wanted to use the same database? Would that mean that the posts for the separate boards would be duplicated on each board or just that they would be maintained in the same database and each board would remain unique?

I'll check the config.php...could you point me in the right direction to find out how to create a separate one in phpMyAdmin(if that's what I'd need to do)?

Thanks so much, man, I really appreciate it!

wildjokerdesign
09-13-2004, 07:57 PM
FIRST DON"T RUN THE INSTALL SCRIPT WITH THE PHPBB SCRIPT!

Sorry to yell... :) I was just sitting here watching TV and thought that if you did you might overwrite your existing database. So I jumped back on the board to post.

I think you are going to want a seperate database. Otherwise the boards well be the same.

Do you have phpMyAdmin installed on your site. You can do it via the SiteManager and the Apps.

I'll wait for your reply... hope I caught you in time.

wildjokerdesign
09-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Ok I was just going over the Install instructions (http://www.phpbb.com/support/guide/)again... sorry it has been awhile since I have done a new install.... You can use the same database but what you want to do is when you come to part in the where it ask what prefix you want to use for the tables you need to enter something different then the original install. The default tables of a WH install uses phpbb_ which I think is also the default that shows in the field when you get to that point. If you simply changed it to something like board2_ (just to be safe) then you should be good to go using the install script.

Note that by doing this it may make it harder to add mods to this second install since they are based on the fact that the tables are normally prefixed with phpbb_.

Let me know where are with all this information and what other questions you may have.

cbalke
09-14-2004, 03:49 AM
You caught me in time. :)

It wouldn't let me install anyway cause it couldn't connect to the database, so we were safe there. I guess it wouldn't hurt to go back up my database right now, eh? ;)

I was thinking of that solution of changing the prefix last night as I was dozing off(I teach 1st grade and they wear me out, so my bed time is like 8:30) .

Since I don't need mods I think I'll try that first.

I do have phpMyAdmin installed, but have no idea where to even begin when I look at that thing. How would I go about building a separate database?

Thanks again!

cbalke
09-14-2004, 03:58 AM
Dude, I got it up and running! :)

Thank you, you rock!

wildjokerdesign
09-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Glad you got it going!

In answer to your question about createing a new database. It is real easy when you first log in to phpMyAdmin there is a "Create new database" field right at the top in the right hand frame. Simply enter a name and hit create.