PDA

View Full Version : Need help installing Postnuke

wayouthere
09-10-2004, 07:00 PM
Hello I am trying to setup a postnuke cms. Isetup a MySQL database with phpMyAdmin When I attempt to install postnuke on my I get this error message :

Error connecting to db
Program: /in/www/html/dir/install/db.php - Line N.: 45
Database: my_db_new
Error (1045) : Access denied for user: 'myweb@localhost' (Using password: YES)

I used my site host password that I used for access to all of my web server data. Then I used my MySQL database password. What am I doing wrong. What permissions still have to be set to enable me to install postnuke?

Thank you.

wildjokerdesign
09-10-2004, 07:48 PM
You can try to use root as the user instead of the your site username.

You can also go in and create a new user if you would like for the postnuke that can only access the postnuke database. Try the first thing and if that does not work then let me know and I can try and lead you through the user creation. So here is what you want to enter:

Database: The name of the database you created.
Host: localhost
Username: root
Password: Main site host password

P.S. You can view the permissions for each database through phpMyAdmin and see what users do have rights to the database you created. When you first log in look for either the Permissions or Database link in the main screen on the right. Both get you to the info as some point.

wayouthere
09-10-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your tips wildjokerdesign. Well, phpMyAdmin shows that I have full permissions to my database. I'm still getting the same error when I try to install postnuke. The chmod checks cleared. I'm at a loss here. Do I need to install anything else to get postnuke to install right?

jalal
09-11-2004, 02:54 AM
I've had no trouble installing PostNuke so it can be done. But as I had no problem, I can't really help you.
Make sure that you FLUSH PROVILEGES after making changes to any permissions in order for them to take effect.

wildjokerdesign
09-11-2004, 07:48 AM
I have never installed PostNuke unlike Jalal but I imagin you have a choice of databe types that you can choice. Could it be you have told it the wrong type. You would want to use mysql.

The other thing to look at is what is at:
/in/www/html/dir/install/db.php - Line number 45
since that is where the script is failing and see what happens at that point.

Last I looked at the requirements on postnuke I don't think there is anything else you should need to install.

wayouthere
09-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks folks. I'm new to installing advanced database systems for websites. I love to learn. It's just that my client needs a cms for their site and I want to be able to allow my client to manage their own web content so I can focus on the business of keeping the site up and running. This concept that cms systems like postnuke offer is amazing. I can't wait to get it up and running.

I am also glad to see that this forum is very helpful to me as I begin my next phase of managed website design.

I'll take another look at my setup and let you know what happens.

wildjokerdesign
09-11-2004, 10:28 AM
I was looking at the postnuke site and found a page that may help. You may have already seen it but thought I would pass it on.
CANNOT CREATE DATABASE or ACCESS DENIED FOR USER during installation -help file (http://docs.postnuke.com/module-pagesetter-viewpub-tid-8-pid-1.html)

It mentions several things about usernames and passwords. The article was a bit confusing but I think maybe if you used thier scripts to set up the database that the password may be "God". Now there is a comment after that in like this: (asterisks) and I'm not real sure what that means. I think that when they mentioned the Username = "sitename_Admin" that they ment to replace sitename with your sitename. The script may create a database user that is your sitename with this added to it "_Admin" and gives it a password of God. You should be able to see if that is true through phpMyAdmin. There are other things to check that are mentioned in the article.

wayouthere
09-11-2004, 10:58 AM
Thanks wildjokerdesign! I will add this to my list of things to do in getting my site going.

visible soul
09-11-2004, 01:36 PM
I've installed Postnuke multiple times on Westhost VDS. I installed it 3 times this week. I have multiple copies running right now.

1) Create a new database with PhpMyAdmin

2) Create a new user. (I personally have a different user for every program I run. You really shouldn't use root or even your hosting username and password in config files. If someone can get access to your config files they would have full access to your VPS.)

3) Set database specific permissions for your new user for the new database

4) Run your PostNuke install script (entering your new database name, database username, and database password) but don't check the "create database" box. You already created it. The script will populate your database with the Postnuke tables.

5) Delete your "install.php file and the /install/ directory.

If you need more help let me know. I'll watch this thread.

-=DKC=-

wayouthere
09-11-2004, 01:52 PM
Thanks everyone! You have been so helpful! I have Postnuke up and running now. I used wildjokerdesign's last tip that linked me to a site that cleared everything up for me.

wayouthere
09-11-2004, 01:53 PM
Does the file back up function in site manager backup my Postnuke files and settings? And if I upgrade to a larger hosting account can I transfer all of my files and settings to the new account?

Thank you.

wildjokerdesign
09-11-2004, 02:24 PM
I am pretty sure that is a Yes on your first question and if you upgrade your account I am sure that the answere is Yes. Or at least when I have made upgrades to my accounts any thing I have added on my own stays there.

visible soul
09-11-2004, 02:28 PM
Does the file back up function in site manager backup my Postnuke files and settings?

You would be able to backup your Postnuke directories using the site manager backup utility. You can also backup your sql directory but I don't know how to restore the sql database from those files.

I personally keep a backup of my Postnuke files but I also use PhpMyAdmin to periodically backup the database as a .sql file. It's easy to restore a database from a .sql file. I've done it numerous times. :wink:

And if I upgrade to a larger hosting account can I transfer all of my files and settings to the new account? Yes. You can just upload your Postnuke directory backup into your new account and use your database backup to re-create your database. You may need to change your paths in the Postnuke config file depending on the new setup.

-=DKC=-

wayouthere
09-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Thanks people. I will backup postnuke right away.

wayouthere
09-11-2004, 04:32 PM
If I delete the new user that I setup with phpmyadmin that I created to install postnuke will that cause a problem with my postnuke installation? Or can I change the new phpmyadmin user name and password or will that damage mt postnuke install?

Thanks.

wildjokerdesign
09-11-2004, 05:14 PM
I think I'll let visible soul field that question it sounds like he knows his way around postnuke. I would say that if you changed the username and password that postnuke is looking for to the new one you created then all should be good but not sure what file you would need to alter or if there is a way to do it through an admin screen in postnuke.

visible soul
09-11-2004, 05:41 PM
If I delete the new user that I setup with phpmyadmin that I created to install postnuke will that cause a problem with my postnuke installation? Or can I change the new phpmyadmin user name and password or will that damage mt postnuke install?

I'm not sure that I understand the question. Why would you want to change the database username and password after a successful install? I'm sure it can be done but PostNuke encrypts the username and password when you use the install script. I don't know how you would accomplish encryption by editing the config files directly.

**** edit****
I did a little research and turned up one possibility...

If you need to change the database username and password in Postnuke's config file then there is a tool available.

http://docs.postnuke.com/FAQ-index-myfaq-yes-id_cat-33.html#q256

http://download.postnuke.com/pafiledb.php?action=category&id=47

:idea: Hi Wildjoker. :idea:

wayouthere
09-12-2004, 11:59 AM
I used the generic password to install postnuke that was given in the install instructions. I entered this password for a new user that I setup in phpmyadmin. Then finally at the end of the postnuke install the interface allowed me to set a new password for the postnuke database. I was just not sure if the final password that I entered for postnuke was reflected on the password that I set for the new user that I setup with phpmyadmin. I'm just trying to secure my database.

I thought that maybe the new user that I setup with phpmyadmin to install postnuke was only needed for the install postnuke process. I wondered if I could now delete that user in my phpmyadmin interface.

visible soul
09-12-2004, 05:18 PM
I thought that maybe the new user that I setup with phpmyadmin to install postnuke was only needed for the install postnuke process. I wondered if I could now delete that user in my phpmyadmin interface.

If you are speaking of the new database user then that is written to the Postnuke config.php file. That is the username and password that Postnuke uses to connect to the database. If you change either in PhpMyAdmin then you must change it in the Postnuke config file or PostNuke will not work.

If you want to change your database password or username I recommend using the "Swiss Army Knife tool" that I posted the link to above.

As far as security, the reason you create a new database user and password is to isolate your PostNuke database access from access to any other database and the rest of your VPS. If you use the user and password that you, as VPS Admin, use for ftp etc. you put your whole VPS at risk if someone can access your config.php file in the PostNuke directory. PostNuke encrypts the username and password in both the database and the config file which is an extra security feature that many other programs lack.

Of course it is still possible that I am not understanding the question...

-=DKC=-

wildjokerdesign
09-12-2004, 05:50 PM
visible soul
Is there an Admin user for PostNuke itself that he could be speaking of that is added to the postnuke database itself? I know with phpBB you have an admin user in for the forum that is seperate from the actual user and password that is used to log in to the mysql database.

Oh and Hi back! :)

visible soul
09-12-2004, 06:06 PM
visible soul
Is there an PostNuke Admin user for PostNuke itself that he could be speaking of that is added to the postnuke database itself?

Absolutely. The Admin username and password is separate from the database username and password. The Admin password can be changed from the Postnuke "My Account > Change your info" user CP.

-=DKC=-

By the way, there is a version of phpBB built to integrate seamlessly with Postnuke.
http://www.pnphpbb.com/

wildjokerdesign
09-12-2004, 08:06 PM
By the way, there is a version of phpBB built to integrate seamlessly with Postnuke.
http://www.pnphpbb.com/

Yep and can you belive I figured that out after I did about 20 mods on my own to get to the same place? :) Why is it I must do everything the hard way?