PDA

View Full Version : SMTP port 25 blocked by ISP

junga
09-09-2004, 08:23 PM
My ISP just started blocking port 25 so that I can't send email thorugh my westhost hosted domain any more.

Is it possible to get sendmail to listen on two ports? 25 for all the incoming mail and some new, unused port for my mail client to use? I am hoping this is just a simple sendmail.cf option.

I read a conversation from a couple weeks ago about setting up a SSL tunnle for port 25. I know how to do it with putty, but that requires the client making the putty connection before sending mail. Ryan mentioned using stunnle, but I am reluctant to attempt to compiling and configure it.

Is there a standard unix tool that would allow me to map (proxy) one port to another? What an ssl tunnle would do but without the ssl.

WestHost - MMellor
09-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Hello Junga,

What I would recommend doing is to ask your ISP what SMTP mail server they would like you to use. More and more ISPs seem to be blocking port 25 because of spam attacks. So you will still have your email account active through WestHost, the only difference being that you will send email through your ISP instead of us.

adpwl1
09-12-2004, 10:14 AM
The problem I have seen with this is that your email is now MORE likely to be tagged as spam by the major ISP since your email address and reply email don't match the ISP they are coming from.

pvarcese
09-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I recently encountered the same problem with port 25 with another service, and had to change the port to 2025 in Outlook, which resolved the issue. Any such alternative here?

junga
09-13-2004, 08:16 AM
What I would recommend doing is to ask your ISP what SMTP mail server they would like you to use

I connect my notebook at home, at work, and in other places. Each time I connect, I don't want to change the outgoing mail server configuration.

If I could run sendmail on a different port, it is likely to work anywhere I connect.

WestHost - RSimpkins
09-13-2004, 03:49 PM
It is possible to get sendmail to listen to both port 25 and another port so you can side step your ISP's firewall. WestHost doesn't support this in any way, so please ensure you backup EVERYTHING before you make any changes. Also, if for any reason this "fix" causes a security or resource issue it will be disabled.

You will also need an account with a dedicated IP address for this to work consistently. You could get it to work in a name based VDS - but it might not work the next day.

A hint: You will need to run sendmail in deamon mode.

john_collins
09-16-2004, 11:47 AM
Please put an alternate SMTP port at the top of my wish list. I am inexplicably saddled with an AOL dialup account to get online for the foreseeable future and AOL doesn't like me sending email using Eudora and my own domain names. (I have other accounts that I oversee and I am able to send email through them using an alternate port.)

thito01
01-24-2005, 06:03 AM
I too could really use a second port due to traveling. My national dial-up ISP does not allow pass-though of port 25.

Jerry
02-02-2005, 05:07 PM
It is possible to get sendmail to listen to both port 25 and another port so you can side step your ISP's firewall. WestHost doesn't support this in any way, so please ensure you backup EVERYTHING before you make any changes. Also, if for any reason this "fix" causes a security or resource issue it will be disabled.

You will also need an account with a dedicated IP address for this to work consistently. You could get it to work in a name based VDS - but it might not work the next day.

A hint: You will need to run sendmail in deamon mode.

Would it be possible for you to list the instructions for accomplishing this feat? :?:

Blackfyr
03-01-2005, 09:44 AM
To get port 25 unblocked, SBC has that as a selectable option in the form you reach from <a href="http://help.sbcglobal.net/servabuse.php">this page</a> (http://help.sbcglobal.net/servabuse.php in case the link doesn't come through correctly).

Jerry
03-01-2005, 10:54 AM
To get port 25 unblocked, SBC has that as a selectable option in the form you reach from <a href="http://help.sbcglobal.net/servabuse.php">this page</a> (http://help.sbcglobal.net/servabuse.php in case the link doesn't come through correctly).

Unfortunately, I am not using Yahoo, so I do not think that, that information will be of much help to me.

It would be nice if WestHost would at least post the information on how to accomplish adding an additional port for e-mail.

http://www.seibercom.us/images/freebsd--bug-chaser.png Jerry

monjaw
03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
I have the same problem and I hope westhost will come up with a fix. I don't want to send my emails through my ISP, because they are not reliable and I live on a small island where I don't even have the choice to change my ISP - since we only have one!

This problem appears only on my westhost account, all the other hosting providers I have are working perfect.

My question will you resolve this problem?

thank you