PDA

View Full Version : Customized name server?

stonix
08-27-2004, 03:43 PM
In the reseller admin manager there's a section for input customized name server. I tried to put my own name servers but got error message saying:
The domain ns1.mydns.net is not referenced to DomainDirector or the DomainDirector is not connected to ClusterDirector.

What does this mean?

Alex

wildjokerdesign
08-27-2004, 06:23 PM
I think it means that WH has restricted the use of the customized name server option. It could be they could add your name server but not sure of that. You would need to contact them to see if that is possible. I am pretty sure it is something you do not have control over through the reseller manager.

adpwl1
08-28-2004, 11:34 AM
My question is do you already have custom name servers somewhere else? or are you trying to setup custom name servers on the WH site so when you sell your space, your customers don't have to use the WH name servers?

We have setup custom name server on the WH side. We ended up working with WH support on getting this all setup. What the end up being are aliases to the WH name servers.

stonix
08-28-2004, 03:46 PM
I have custom name servers somewhere else. I guess the function only wokr for when you have private name servers setup with WH.

danguru
11-07-2004, 05:27 AM
I am actually in the process of setting this up with WH right now. In fact, I am getting the same error that you mentioned...

Apparently, this is caused by the name servers not being registered globally. As I understand it, WH has to register them locally to their systems (aliases to the WH name servers, as it was already mentioned), then I have to go to where I registered my domain name and add the name servers globally there. Since I registered it with WH earlier this year, I have to go to eNom to fulfill this...

Unfortunately, I don't seem to have a name/pass for eNom that I know of. And nobody at WH knows right now; nor does eNom. Guess I will be waiting till Monday for answers.

bpk
12-20-2004, 08:08 AM
I recently upgraded to a Reseller 3 account which includes "Custom Name Servers."

Although WestHost provides generic Name Servers (ns1.west-datacenter.net & ns2.west-datacenter.net), WestHost Resellers can also have their own custom DNS Name Servers (e.g. ns.yourdomain.com & ns2.yourdomain.com). This provides a great opportunity to further brand your business identity and appear more reputable.

Westhost set up nameservers with my domain and provided IP addresses:

69.xx.xxx.xxx // ns.mydomain.com
69.xx.xxx.yyy // ns2.mydomain.com

That's great, but when I went to update the DNS records for a domain registered through Register.com, with the above servers, Register.com told me that the domain servers were not valid. I put in a ticket to Westhost and got the following response (the nameserver domain is registered with GoDaddy)...

The name servers must be registered first at the registrar. You can check to see if they are available for use by using this form (and selecting name server):http://www.internic.net/whois.html

The registrar for this doman appears to be: www.godaddy.com

You will need to work out the name server registration with them. Please let me know if you have any questions.

I don't understand what Westhost is saying I should do. Has anyone else got this to work?? Thanks!

danguru
12-20-2004, 03:32 PM
I am not certain what to do here as WH apparently took care of my issue awhile back. However, I wonder if register.com is a front for godaddy.com just as westhost.com is a front for enom.com; thus the reason you are being told godaddy is your registrar.

wildjokerdesign
12-20-2004, 04:56 PM
danguru,

Did you ever go to enom and add your name servers globally? I wonder if that is the step that bpk needs to do but is not sure where at godaddy to do that. If you did do that with enom maybe how you did it might help him.

bpk,
Maybe if you reply to the last email that they sent you and let them know that you are not sure what they ment. They are pretty good about clarifying things if you let them know you didn't understand the reply.

Normally when you register a domain you get information in an email about how to log in and manage it. Pretty sure godaddy has something like that. You might look for that email for them.

danguru
12-20-2004, 06:38 PM
I actually could not register the names globally myself. Someone on WH's level 3 tech support did it for me because I did not have the password for the DNS.

I recommend contacting WH directly and explaining the whole ordeal. It took about a week or so from start to finish for me. Everyone was helpful.

adpwl1
01-04-2005, 08:10 PM
BPK, did you ever get your problem fix with your name server? I can explain what WH is saying. This was something I didn't understand either when we setup our customer name server with WH.

I was able to talk to a WH engineer on the DNS side to explain it to me.

jalal
01-05-2005, 04:16 PM
Andy

Could you share it with the forum?
Its useful to have this information publicly available for others who may pass this way.

jal