PDA

View Full Version : email bouncing - no inverse dns?

visible soul
08-25-2004, 11:08 PM
Since the August 14th Westhost network security upgrades I have had some new email issues. I first noticed a problem when my emails to a client began bouncing back with a "Denied" error from the clients ISP. Previous to the maintenance I had been communicating with this client with no problems.

Sender IP address 69.36.162.*** has invalid (non-matching) or non-existent inverse DNS!

(69.36.162.*** resolves to 69.36.162.***.west-datacenter.net, but 69.36.162.***.west-datacenter.net has no forward (A) record)

All Internet Protocol (IP) addresses should be assigned a valid inverse pointer ("PTR") record as returned by DNS tools such as nslookup. If you were directed here by an error received when attempting to send an email to a Grande Communications customer this is because the IP address you currently occupy does not meet the above criteria. Please contact your Internet Service Provider (or if you are on a corporate office network, your System or Network Administrator) and request the following by using the exact text below if you desire, or simply sending them the link to this page:

Dear DNS/ISP Administrator,

Valid email from me is being blocked due to lack of proper DNS configuration of your IP address space. Please configure valid inverse DNS PTR records for 69.36.162.***, and any others in this range that I might be likely to utilize while using your network. This would include ensuring that the PTR record assigned to an IP is also an A record pointing back to that IP (aka 'matching DNS') Thank you in advance for your prompt assistance with this!

Exact error: 69.36.162.*** resolves to 69.36.162.***.west-datacenter.net, but 69.36.162.***.west-datacenter.net has no forward (A) record

When I send an email from my Westhost account to my Yahoo account I see this in the header which is new.

Received: from mydomain.com (69.36.162.***.west-datacenter.net [69.36.162.***] (may be forged))

Using dnsstuff.com's tools I get this output:

69.36.162.*** PTR record: 69.36.162.***.west-datacenter.net. [TTL 86400s] [A=None] *ERROR* A record does not point back to original IP.

I opened a support ticket (#805170) on the 20th but the only communication I have received says "I spoke with our administrators about this. They let me know that our programmers are working on this issue. I do not have all of the details, but it should be fixed shortly."

Now my ticket has been tagged as resolved but it appears my issue remains. I know very little about dns but I know this can't be right. Any suggestions? Anyone? :?

Thanks.
-=DKC=-

wildjokerdesign
08-26-2004, 05:19 AM
From your the first error it sounds like it may have to do with new SPF thing mentioned in this post http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2095

Not sure if you have been following this or not. Big companies are starteing to check for SPF records to see if mail is legit or not. I think Yahoo has started checking SPF records now also. I don't think they reject yet based on it though.

Even though a support ticket gets marked as resolved it does not always mean they are not working on it. It used to happen when it was forwarded on to a different tech to be worked on. If you reply to it either via email or your sign in link it opens the ticket back up if for some reason it has been closed. There should have been a link in the first response to view the history of the ticket where you can check and see if it was forwarded on.

visible soul
08-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the reply wildjoker-

I've been following the SPF thread, not knowledgeable enough to post though. ;) I may try the SPF option to at least call Westhost's attention to my DNS problem.

grandecom.net is the domain that rejected my emails.

Is it normal for domains hosted with Westhost to have no inverse DNS or is that not something to be concerned about?

It kinda sucks not to be able to email clients with an email address from my webdesign domain. Makes me look pretty unprofessional I think.

Thanks again.
-=DKC=-

wildjokerdesign
08-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Hi DKC,

I'm not sure on the inverse DNS thing. I'm like you and really struggle with the knowledge needed for this. Seems to be so many little bits. I assume this is the issue you mentioned in the birthday post that you are having problems getting an answer on. For me when it takes time to get a reply it is a situation where the problem has been pretty deep and harder to track down.

Wish I could be more help.

visible soul
08-27-2004, 08:52 PM
I received a reply from a WH System Administrator today. It turns out that it is a Westhost DNS issue that they are aware of and are apparently working on. So I suppose I'll sit back and hope for the best.

I love communication. :)

-=DKC=-