PDA

View Full Version : Auto Reply Without Using Webmail?

BobKodadek
08-05-2004, 12:26 PM
All I want is a simple autoreply without using webmail. It seems impossible. I can set up an autoreply using webmail, but webmail is way too slow and inconvenient. If I select auto forward, then the auto reply doesn't work. So, I am stuck with the message on web mail again.

We used to have a simple autoreply before the changeover. Is there still a way to do this without forwarding all my messages to hotmail or yahoo?

I just want to tell my customers that I am going on vacation and have their message come through the server as usual. Has anyone done this?

Bob

wildjokerdesign
08-05-2004, 02:36 PM
There is an Auto Responder you can install via your Site Manager.
http://www.manual.westhost.com/part7.html#communication

It that what you are looking for?

FZ
08-05-2004, 02:36 PM
If this is for an e-mail/FTP account you have created, you can log in to the "mini Site Manager" for it (http://yourdomain.com/users/) and you should be able to set up an autoresponder there.

BobKodadek
08-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi guys!

I am never going to get to go on vacation. I have spent two days trying to do this.

I want the mail coming to my email aliases to autorespond to the sender that I am on vacation and have the mail come to me as usual. I can't do it.

I set up and Email/FTP autoresponder, but it will only work if I send email to that unique name. I just want to direct the aliases to an auto responder. I certainly do NOT want to make up new Email/FTP accounts for all of my aliases and end up using IMP or Neomail. I'd rather jump off a bridge.

I can't imagine that someone hasn't had to do this in the past.... LOL

Bob

BobKodadek
08-05-2004, 04:39 PM
Okay,

I was able to set up a new temporary alias with a distribution list to point to the auto responder. Then change my aliases to point to the temporay alias. However, the auto responder will only function once from each unique user. In other words, if a send a message from my hotmail account to my web site, the auto responder will work that one time to that address. On future messages from that same hotmail account, the auto responder does not respond, however the message does appear in the Email/FTP account.

I am going to need another vacation after this.....

Why would the autoresponder only work once from each unique email address???

Bob

wildjokerdesign
08-05-2004, 05:16 PM
I got a bit lost there on your explenation of what you did. :) I think the auto response should go out for every email regardless if the email addy has sent to it before or not.

Ok clean slate of how I would do it... could be what you did.

I would go in and create a new email/ftp user account called vacation and enable the autoresponder for it. I would then go and set up the response for the vacation user. Then for all my aliases when I went on vacation I would simply go in and point them to the vacation user email address. When I get back I would switch them back.

I think the difference between my way and yours was that you where useing an aliase to point to instead of a real user email account. Somethings just work better if you use a user email address that has a ftp directory. After you set up the vacation with ftp enabled you can go back and disable the ftp without deleteing the directory and that allows you to have the directory for things like SA user settings and such.

Hope that helps you get it worked out if not let us know.

BobKodadek
08-05-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi Joker,

I did exactly as you said, redid everything and the autoresponder will only work one time from each email address I try it from. It sounds crazy, but it is correct. I can't believe I have spent this much time on something so simple and can't get it to work. It is truly hopeless. Someone needs to design an autoresponder that works. I guess I will have to forward all my email to a new account at Yahoo and use their vacation response which works. I don't feel that I should have to go through all that.

Bob

wildjokerdesign
08-05-2004, 08:21 PM
Bob,

That really is kind of strange. Maybe it some type of safegaurd to keep from sending the same message to an email address more then once. You could maybe ask support about it and if there is maybe some config setting you could change although if you are close to going on vacation you may not have time for an answer and to get it changed. Maybe the Yahoo thing is best for now. Sorry it didn't work. Maybe well have a better answer by the next time you need the feature.

jalal
08-06-2004, 04:06 AM
Hi Joker,

I did exactly as you said, redid everything and the autoresponder will only work one time from each email address I try it from. It sounds crazy, but it is correct. I can't believe I have spent this much time on something so simple and can't get it to work. It is truly hopeless. Someone needs to design an autoresponder that works. I guess I will have to forward all my email to a new account at Yahoo and use their vacation response which works. I don't feel that I should have to go through all that.

Bob

The auto responder is designed to only send out one response to an email address. It then 'remembers' that email address and doesn't send another autoresponse a second time.

This is how it is meant to function.

HTH

BobKodadek
08-06-2004, 08:55 AM
Well, that doesn't make sense to me at all. I deal with many large companies and receive auto responses all the time from the same company over and over again. That is how an autoresponder works, not one time and one time only.

So, let's say I have an auto responder to tell someone that I received their email message and will respond as soon as possible. Westhost uses an autoresponder in this fashion. Correct? I have gotten repeat messages from Westhost's auto responder many times. An auto responder that only works in one instance for that same customer? I've never seen an auto responder that works like that.

Like I said before, we need somone to write an auto responder script for Westhost that functions properly. Of course, that is only my humble opinion. :roll:

jalal
08-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Here's another scenario... you are on a set of mailing lists, you go on holiday, set up an auto-response and forget to unsub from the mailing lists.
Mailing list sends you an email, you automatically return your holiday message, which gets sent out to the list which triggers another holiday message which... you get the picture... a vicious circle of autoresponders.

Actually, I lied a bit. The autoresponder will send out one response a day to a given email address. The next day is a new day and it will start afresh.
(I think its by the day, I may be wrong, maybe 48 hours).

HTH

wildjokerdesign
08-06-2004, 10:24 AM
I think you are right Jalal. I was just checking what files are created when an autoreply is created and on of them is a userlist file that has the date added to it. I had thought maybe the script that that sends out the autoreply could be altered but it is owned by root so that would not work. It really does make sense that the script would only send out a reply once a day since like you said you could end up with an enless loop that would bogg down the system.

BobKodadek, if you are sending West Host a support request the email you get is being generated by the contact script itself and not the autoreply feature.