PDA

View Full Version : Postgresql or Mysql?

<mark />
07-26-2004, 05:28 PM
First I'd like to preface this by saying I come from a SQL Server background and I'm new to both mysql and postgresql....

I've looked at both and postgresql seems more complete and all around superior. However, I know that mysql is more popular. What are some reasons for using mysql over postgresql?

WestHost - RSimpkins
07-27-2004, 10:39 AM
Mark,

There are many pros and cons to the different databases. You might try goolging for: mysql vs. postgresql

I use MySQL most of the time, but I like PostgreSQL better for certain projects (like when I need to keep data in several tables synced together).

<mark />
07-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Well, I took the "googleit" advice and here are my conclustions:

Mysql is very fast. It is faster than anything I found it compared against (most comparisons were selects, inserts, etc.) and seems to be optimized for web activities. Some people have found it destabalizes over time and under heavy use. It also has a lot of extras developed for it (e.g. phpmyadmin).

Postgresql has a lot more features (and a lot more of what I'm used to) like views, triggers, foreign key support (which is really big to me). It is also getting faster with each release.

Basically, you should use mysql unless you need features is doesn't offer. In which case, use postgresql.

Tom Howard
10-14-2004, 07:07 PM
This is slightly off topic, but has anyone installed Postgres on their account? I seem to have a few snags and could use some help troubleshooting it.

Also, do I need to create a postgres user? I don't seem to have that priviledge.

Oddsodz
09-12-2009, 06:37 PM
How about this for a necro thead?

Can you have both running at the same time? I Am looking into a new project. And I may have to use "PostgreSQL". I Am sure I can get it installed. But I wish to know if I can have it a long side "MySql". As I have that running and working right now. And I don't wish to lose that.

wildjokerdesign
09-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I am not 100% sure but don't see why you couldn't.

Oddsodz
09-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Ok. Thanks for that