PDA

View Full Version : what happened to .spamassassin folder?

ccwebb
07-14-2004, 11:21 AM
I have just finished installing spamassassin 2.63.

In order to do that I first installed spamassassin via Manager.

One strange thing - after installing spamassassin via Manager I did not end up with a /.spamassassin folder which contains user_prefs.

So I created the folder and set up user_prefs myself.

All seems to be okay - but I am wondering if it is really okay - any thoughts?

Charlie

WestHost - MMellor
07-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Hello Charlie,

Here are a couple tidbits about Spam Assassin. Let me know if you have any questions on these and I can go into further detail.

- You can change the general preferences in Site Manager, under Site Applications. Click on SpamAssassin and you can set the general spam score, etc.

- You can change individual settings by editing the .spamassasin/user_prefs file in each user's directory. Note that the home directory for the main user is in the root, not in /usr/home/username, so the path is /.spamassassin/user_prefs

- You can whitelist, blacklist, adjust spam scores thresholds, etc. all in the user_prefs file. For more info, see http://au.spamassassin.org/doc.html

ccwebb
07-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Mike:

Thanks for the info - but what about my problem/question?

Charlie

WestHost - MMellor
07-14-2004, 01:22 PM
Hello Charlie,

Can you PM me or post your domain and I'll take a look at that for you. Thanks and keep us posted on your progress.

jalal
07-14-2004, 02:38 PM
One strange thing - after installing spamassassin via Manager I did not end up with a /.spamassassin folder which contains user_prefs.

One thought, if you are looking for the /.spamassassin directory with a program that doesn't show 'hidden' files, then you may not see it. the leading '.' on the directory name means that some clients (ftp or otherwise) will not show the directory.

ccwebb
07-14-2004, 03:24 PM
Jalal:

I do not think that is it - I am able to see the .spamassassin folder in all of my other accounts. Also, when I created the directory manually I did not get a duplicate folder notification.

Charlie

WestHost - MMellor
07-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Hello Charlie,

I just checked your account and you do have the .spamassassin in your root directory. The commands that I typed were as followed:

cd /
cd .spamassassin
[YOUR DOMAIN][/.spamassassin]$

If you do a listing in the root directory it will not be listed there. You just have to type it in and it will go to the folder. Keep us posted on your progress with this.

ccwebb
07-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Mike:

It is there because I put it there - re-read my original message - for some reason it was NOT originally created when I loaded spamassassin via Manager.

Charlie

WestHost - MMellor
07-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Hello Charlie,

It might be easier if we resolve this over the phone. If you want to PM me your phone number I would more than happy to give you a call. I can see the spamassassin folder in / which you have created. There is also a /.spamassassin folder which the system has created. If you do a directory listing it will not be listed there, however, if you type cd .spamassassin you will be able to access it.

Again I would be more than happy to give you a call and we could resolve this over the phone. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.