PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading from 3.23 to 4.0

hkazemz
06-28-2004, 11:13 AM
Has anyone upgraded their MySQL installation to version 4.0? I understand, that Westhost doesn't provide any kind of support for this upgrade. I apprecite if you share the steps you took, the problems and experience you had doing it. BTW, what is the hardware platform (sparc, alpha, x86) of WestHost?

Thanks,

hkazemz

WestHost - MMellor
06-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Hello hkazemz,

The hardware platform we run on is x86. If you have any other questions on that please let us know.

Armadillo
07-18-2004, 06:17 PM
I would also be interested in that upgrade.
SQL is slow sometimes, for no apparent reason. Perhaps 4.0 would be faster.
Ive read about upgrading with an RPM file, and it seems somewhat easy, but I really dont know.

medlinke
09-19-2004, 12:06 AM
I have the distribution rpm files for client and server, but cannot find in any documentation whether I'll need to do both server and client or just client.

I have a feeling I'll need to do both but I just wanted to see if anyone had had any experience with this already before I went ahead and did it.

jalal
09-19-2004, 03:53 AM
You won't be able to install rpm's, you need to get the source and install from source.
You will definitely need the server. I suggest you install the client as well, as it is sometimes useful to have the client on the VDS as well.

medlinke
09-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Just out of curiousity why won't an RPM file work for the installation? Is it a permissions thing?

So I need to download the source however there are two x86 linux source download options...

Linux (x86, glibc-2.2, static, gcc)
-AND-
Linux (x86, glibc-2.3, dynamic, Intel C++ Compiler)

Do you happen to know which one is preferable? I think I can use either one and it won't be a problem, but I want to make sure.

jalal
09-19-2004, 03:53 PM
Westhost doesn't install the RPM manager programs. I assume the reason is that we don't have root access to the servers.

Of the two packages, the first sounds like the most suitable, as the second one needs the Intel compiler.

medlinke
09-19-2004, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I had a feeling it had to do with permissions on the server...

I'm reconsidering doing the installation now that I know it will need to be compiled from the source and such... The binary distribution for linux won't work then either?

I'm thinking of the mysql-standard-4.0.21-pc-linux-i686.tar distribution file from mysql.com

any advice on that?

medlinke
09-21-2004, 07:26 AM
You won't be able to install rpm's, you need to get the source and install from source.
You will definitely need the server. I suggest you install the client as well, as it is sometimes useful to have the client on the VDS as well.

I installed the compiler and did the make correctly...

however... when I do the make install...guess what happens? I don't have root access to the lib directory so I cannot install it...

torrin
09-21-2004, 11:55 AM
however... when I do the make install...guess what happens? I don't have root access to the lib directory so I cannot install it...

I haven't tried this, but maybe when you do configure you should set --prefix to something else.

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
$ make
$ make install

This works for several other program as shown on . . .

http://www.domsch.com/westhost/

I don't know if it will work with /usr/local, but it will probably work if you set it to some other directory that you have write access to.

medlinke
09-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah I was able to do that and now have it basically installed

The only remaining problem seems to be a permissions thing...

I create the GRANT tables, but since I don't have rights to the root user....I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to get new users configured via the GRANT statements...

So it's really a bizarre duality here.

You can get the thing installed as advertised, but you can't really use it because you need access to the addgroup and adduser commands which have been locked so that you can create the mysql user for the system.

jalal
09-21-2004, 04:24 PM
I haven't tried what you are doing but...

The root user for MySQL is different from the root user of the VPS, so it shouldn't make a difference.
Similarly, users for the MySQL program is not connected to the user for the system. It is, I seem to remember, possible to install the whole thing as a normal (non root) user and have it working.

But I don't have details on how to do it, sorry...

:(

medlinke
09-21-2004, 05:45 PM
Well...

I managed to get it all figured out...a mere 9 hours of fiddling with it got it all set up correctly.

Part of it was me having to learn SSH and part of it was poor documentation by mySQL...

Basically everything works as it says it does. You just have to ensure that you set up all the users and such correctly...I'm still seeing some weirdness, but... I think it's manageable since I am able to use phpmyadmin

webgraph
11-18-2004, 12:39 AM
For those of you reading wishing there were detailed instructions, I just posted some. The upgrade will take approximately 45 min.

Check it out:

http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=13728#13728

-Alex Rubin