PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of spamassassin upgrade folder

ccwebb
06-26-2004, 02:24 PM
Last February I upgraded to spamassassin 2.63.

Followiing Jalal's procedure at the time, using Putty I created a directory called "src", then downloaded 2.63 to it and unpacked it and went on from there with the install.

So I am assuming that I no longer need the folder "src". Is that correct? If yes then how do I delete "src"?

I assume I will use Putty but I do not know how to do it and for some reason the directory src does not show up in my FTP program CuteFTP.

Help - Thanks

Charlie

FZ
06-26-2004, 05:05 PM
I believe you can delete the src directory, yes - as long as you KNOW that you specifically installed SpamAssassin to another directory. Once logged in to an SSH session, here's what you can do to remove it:

*** WARNING: make sure you get the path absolutely right before you type this and press enter. This command is like a "delete without confirmation" command, and of course, there is no recycle bin to restore what you delete.

rm -rf /path/to/src

Replace /path/to/src with the path, then press enter. Then do a list to make sure the directory was removed.

ccwebb
06-26-2004, 05:35 PM
Fayez:

Thanks!

I chickened out and did not remove the src directory.

But I also had a spamassassin file outside of the src directory. So I ran your command against it and it removed the file.

Charlie

FZ
06-26-2004, 05:47 PM
No problem. For simple (single) files, you can do a rm filename which is safer because it will bring up the confirmation message. The -rf is required to recursively delete all files (and folders) without prompting for each one (otherwise it would prompt you for every single file and folder).