PDA

View Full Version : Reserved words for subdomains?

ashevillerock
06-18-2004, 01:40 PM
I'm trying to add the subdomain 'board' to my domain (ashevillerock.com) but it is not working. I copied what I had put in the 'directory' field and pasted it into a new subdomain named 'forum' and it worked fine, so I know I did that correctly. Does anyone know why this is?

I found a similar problem when trying to make one called 'mail.' I ended up using 'webmail' and that worked fine. I can understand mail being a reserved word, but why 'board'?

FZ
06-18-2004, 03:43 PM
It works for me. Are you sure you have not added it already (i.e. it does not exist)? Check the list of subdomains in your Site Manager and make sure it does not appear there - maybe even though it said it failed it added it?

WestHost - MPlatis
06-18-2004, 04:17 PM
ashevillerock,

I checked it out also and it works for me. Are you still having problems with this?

ashevillerock
06-18-2004, 08:38 PM
It works now. It was giving me a 'cannot find board.ashevillerock.com' message right after I did it, but other subdomains would work immediately, so I thought there was a problem.

Thanks for checking it out.

FZ
06-18-2004, 09:05 PM
I see what happened here - I assumed you meant that the Site Manager refused to let you add a subdomain with the name "board", and I believe that Matt also assumed this is what you meant.

I think in some cases, it can take a few hours for subdomains you add to become "available"/accessible.

ashevillerock
06-19-2004, 09:45 AM
Sorry for the unclear wording! I'm still wondering why some of the ones I made worked immediately but 'board' didn't. For example, I did one simply called 'test' and it worked right away, then I deleted it and it stopped working. So I didn't think I had to worry about DNS updating or anything like that.

FZ
06-19-2004, 10:07 AM
My theory is that if you have tried to access a subdomain before you added it, then your ISP caches the fact that it does not exist, and so even if you add it and then retry, it will not connect. After a few hours when the DNS is updated, it will work. Not an expert on DNS-related things, so I could be wrong.