PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE SOFTWARE

computersmarts
06-18-2004, 09:48 AM
WestHost use to be so good at staying on top of routine software updates. Now it seems like we use the oldest software in the book. And if we update the software our self, there is no guarantee that it will be (A) unsupported by WestHost staff (B) Overwritten by other routine updates by WestHost.

I urge WestHost to upgrade their software both PHP and MYSQL are extremely outdated – and there have been tons of security and bug fixes with the new releases.

MYSQL: 3.23.56 --> 4.1.2
PHP: 4.30 --> 4.3.7

FZ
06-18-2004, 11:09 AM
I have to say I agree. However, mySQL does not concern me as much as PHP - Perl is the worst by far though, currently sitting at version 5.6, latest being 5.8.x - lots of new (Perl) programs I have checked out seem to be moving away from 5.6 as a "mimimum recommended version".

dpfaigin
06-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Yet one needs to be careful when upgrading perl that one doesn't break things. I still remember when Larry and I were sharing an office at SDC, and he upgraded the system from Perl 0 to Perl 1, changing all the regular expression parsing and breaking all my scripts.

Daniel (Perl's Paternal Godparent)

computersmarts
06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
OK WestHost, any thoughts on this manner...

WestHost - MPlatis
06-18-2004, 03:51 PM
computersmarts and all others,

This is one of our top priorities. Our Technical Support is currently investigating newer versions of these programs and hopefully soon we will be able to implement them. We do not have a firm timeline of when these upgrades will take place, but rest assured we are working hard on providing our clients the newest versions possible.

ErickJensen
06-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Also, AwStats (http://www.awstats.org/) and OpenWebmail (http://openwebmail.org/) would be nice, as well as an updated version of PhpMyAdmin.

Omniver
11-15-2004, 06:46 PM
I'm getting Segmentation Faults with PHP and the newest version of Gallery. The word from others with the same problem is that PHP needs to be upgraded. Guys, 4.3.0 hits its two-year anniversary next month, PHP is up to 4.3.9 now. Just take a look at the bug/security fixes that have been put in place over the past two years. http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php#4.3.9

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
When can we expect upgrades of this core software?

torrin
11-15-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm getting Segmentation Faults with PHP and the newest version of Gallery. The word from others with the same problem is that PHP needs to be upgraded. Guys, 4.3.0 hits its two-year anniversary next month, PHP is up to 4.3.9 now. Just take a look at the bug/security fixes that have been put in place over the past two years. http://www.php.net/ChangeLog-4.php#4.3.9

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
When can we expect upgrades of this core software?

Huh? Which version of gallery are you running? According to Gallery Requirements page (http://gallery.menalto.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pag ename=Gallery%20Requirements) it needs PHP version 4.0.4pl1 or above. Did I miss something? Either way, I'm using the latest stable release of gallery (1.4.4-pl4) on westhost and haven't had any segmentation faults. Maybe you could try reinstalling PHP through the site manager.

Now as for the latest PHP, I'd love to see it upgraded too.

sonjay
11-24-2004, 07:18 AM
Has there been any word on upgrading these? I was considering moving my resellers account here from another host, until I learned that I would be going several steps backwards with php and MySQL. There are too many differences between php 4.3.9 and 4.3.0, and MySQL 3.23 and 4.0.2, for me to consider taking such a huge step backward. I've got too much stuff using the newer versions to risk breaking them in major ways by doing that.

I'm told I can't get a reseller's VPS account with newer versions, but that I could install them myself, but that they would be unsupported. Sorry, that just won't cut it.

I like everything else about WestHost's offerings, but unless they do something about these outdated programs, I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

MacToph
11-24-2004, 08:51 PM
I like everything else about WestHost's offerings, but unless they do something about these outdated programs, I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

That's probably a good idea Sonja- as you can tell from this thread alone, this has been a "top priority" with WH for a long time and we've yet to see anything, hopefully we'll see something soon!

I'd also like to add my vote for adding AwStats (http://www.awstats.org/) to the list of available applications- it seems head and shoulders above the 2 that are currently offered.

computersmarts
12-10-2004, 12:49 PM
I hate to do this publicly, but I never get any response when contacting WestHost:

6 MONTHS LATER AND LITTLE TO NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE!!!!

OK WestHost my reseller account expires in January, and you are about to loose a loyal customer of 5+ years! This is absurd. I originally posted this back in JUNE!!!! I am not going to beat around the bush – I have been researching other hosting providers, I really do not want to change… but take a look around WesHost… comments on these boards are stale. I posted something about MORE CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION... We that has obviously not happened. I am very disappointed in WestHost’s progress in this problem, and do not kid yourself it is a problem!!! I will not even get into my other issues, like stale upgrades top space and bandwidth with reseller accounts. What is the word on this WestHost… where are you at?!?!?

So here you go WestHost, you state that you care so much about your customers, here is my challenge: I am looking for a SOLID ANSWER… on when we can expect updates, if you can do this before I find a replacement hosting provider you will be able to keep this customer… but I can no longer stay around with a hosting provider where to it’s customers looks like no progress has been made in the last half a year. You have 1 month… GO!!!

WestHost - ZEsser
12-10-2004, 03:02 PM
I hate to do this publicly, but I never get any response when contacting WestHost:

6 MONTHS LATER AND LITTLE TO NOTHING HAS BEEN DONE!!!!

OK WestHost my reseller account expires in January, and you are about to loose a loyal customer of 5+ years! This is absurd. I originally posted this back in JUNE!!!! I am not going to beat around the bush – I have been researching other hosting providers, I really do not want to change… but take a look around WesHost… comments on these boards are stale. I posted something about MORE CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION... We that has obviously not happened. I am very disappointed in WestHost’s progress in this problem, and do not kid yourself it is a problem!!! I will not even get into my other issues, like stale upgrades top space and bandwidth with reseller accounts. What is the word on this WestHost… where are you at?!?!?

So here you go WestHost, you state that you care so much about your customers, here is my challenge: I am looking for a SOLID ANSWER… on when we can expect updates, if you can do this before I find a replacement hosting provider you will be able to keep this customer… but I can no longer stay around with a hosting provider where to it’s customers looks like no progress has been made in the last half a year. You have 1 month… GO!!!

Hello Computersmarts.

Thanks for posting.

WestHost, as well as other forum members, have addressed this issue a number of times already. We've stated that it is something we're working on, it is something that will be addressed, and it is something that will be rolled out for our clients as soon as we can possibly do it.

There is also no need to spam the forums. I deleted your other post as it was an exact copy of this one. Answers such as the ones you're looking for are best addressed by contacting someone in our sales or technical staff directly. These forums, while moderated by WestHost, are mainly for members helping members. As such, you've seen many members already address this issue in multiple other posts.

Thanks for posting this. It does serve as a frequent reminder that this issue is important to you our client. This issue is priority to WestHost and we are working on it. As the year is winding up, I think it's relatively easy to see that WestHost is listening to our clients! Just a few of the many projects we have already released or will be releasing before years end are:

1. New packages (April)
2. New specials (The whole year!)
3. New web site (April)
4. New members area (Coming soon!)
5. New dedicated server plans (Here now! http://dedicated.westhost.com)

And more! All at the request of clients too, I might add! :D

Again, thanks for posting this. I understand your frustration with the matter, andI assure you that we are working on updates. If you have any further questions regarding the matter, feel free to contact our tech support or sales department directly.

Edit: computersmarts your mentioning of never being able to contact WestHost also concerns me a bit. As you know we have 24/7 tech support via phone/email/live chat. If you call during normal working hours, there should always be someone available to talk to you or, to assure you of a callback in the event the person you need to talk to is not available. If you call during off hours, you'll go right into our tech support department. Feel free to e-mail me, or ask for me personally if you wish to discuss this issue further.

computersmarts
12-15-2004, 03:45 PM
Sounds good, but I still say it should be here by now.

As for your 24/7 support, yes I know that you have it…but it doesn’t do any good – when all they can do is just open a ticket – and 3 days later someone will get to it. When something is wrong in the middle of the night – I want to be able to fix it in the middle of the night.

Not to mention a couple weeks back… WestHost moved my whole VPS site, and in doing so installed a index.html that said “site not constructed yet” that was shown to our customers for more than 24 hours. Not only does this bother me that a stupid mistake like that slipped through the cracks… but you guys never told me that you were moving my reseller accounts to new servers. The customer needs to know about this kind of stuff – to make sure stupid things like above – do not happen.

computersmarts
12-15-2004, 03:48 PM
I would gladly take NEW SOFTWARE for the very much outdated software installed, over specials any day. I think priorities should be in hand. You emphasized on “all of the client requests” well THOSE should be more important than any specials you run, because those are current customers, I understand that you need to attracted more business and make more revenue. But there needs to be some balance here. Over the last year, MySQL, PHP and others are still very much out of date… and you have had specials every month. Balance…

wildjokerdesign
12-15-2004, 06:26 PM
computersmarts,
I recieve notices whenever WH is moveing or working on any of my reseller accounts. I don't think I had to sign up or choose anything to recieve the notices but you might check with them about that.

jalal
12-16-2004, 06:38 AM
...snip... As the year is winding up, I think it's relatively easy to see that WestHost is listening to our clients! Just a few of the many projects we have already released or will be releasing before years end are:

1. New packages (April)
2. New specials (The whole year!)
3. New web site (April)
4. New members area (Coming soon!)
5. New dedicated server plans (Here now! http://dedicated.westhost.com)

And more! All at the request of clients too, I might add! :D

Hi Zack

This is all well and good, but all of the above are orientated towards pulling in new customers, none of it benefits your existing customers.

Westhost runs a very real danger of losing customers (through late, shoddy or non-existent site management) faster than they can pull in new ones through offering XMas specials and server plans.

Just something to think about over the Christmas holidays...

jalal

j103c
12-16-2004, 08:37 AM
I think new packages, a new members area, and new dedicated server plans benefit existing customers. Specials might as well - just depends on what they are and how they are offered.

The primary problem is that the lack of more up-to-date packages is starting to drive existing and potential clients away.

WestHost has to be sensing this. The new packages (and maybe package manager?? just a guess..) must be amazing for them to take that long and WestHost to endure that kind of risk for several more months.

At least one who waits hopes so anyway. :)

torrin
12-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Since this is such a problem, maybe there is a compromise.

Maybe, westhost could offer several different versions of software for the VPS. Instead of just offering PHP, they could offer PHP 4.3.0, PHP 4.3.7, PHP 4.3.10, etc. Then let the user decide which one to install. That way, those that want a newer version can get it and those that want the old version can get it. Since we all have our own VPS, I would think this could be done fairly easy. Can it?

computersmarts
12-16-2004, 10:13 AM
I am glad that I am not the only one who sees the problem here. Bottom line, forums was started by me about 6 months ago, and there were posts on it by myself and others long before, I am not asking for the latest and greatest. But NOTHING has changed with the versions of PHP and MySQL since as long as I can remember. Mean-while WestHost is too caught up in pulling in new customers, and having existing customers upgrade to Dedicated Servers. I am not saying that is not important, because it is. But so is your current client base. It all comes down to balance, which is apparently where WestHost lacks.

Unfortunately time is up, our plan gets renewed in January, I was really hoping WestHost would have made some improvements by then. We are currently looking into other hosting situations for ourself and our clients.

WestHost - ZEsser
12-16-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks for posting all,

The numbered list I presented certainly had an impact on a lot more people than just new signups.... :)

The new packages in April effected every standard hosting account... existing or new. WestHost has deployed a number of specials that effect current clients, including the upgrade special last month. The new website certainly has a impact on current clients, and the new members area is espeically designed by WestHost for our current clients. New dedicated servers have been fitted with our VPS technology which is certainly a huge benefit for any existing VPS clients wishing to upgrade to a VPS without having to adjust to a new platform. The best changes we can make would of course benefit both potential and exisiting clients, and everything I listed hopefully has done both.

The list largely included marketing tasks simply because, as you know, I work in our Marketing Department and thus these are the tasks I'm most familiar with. The list is but a fraction of what we've deployed over the past year.

computersmarts, you can contact WestHost via livechat or phone any time of the day. You should not be waiting 3 days for e-mail responses on any ticket you submit. You should not even be waiting 1 day for a response. Please PM me your ticket numbers of these outstanding issues and I will gladly look into they delay in your receiving a response.

Thanks all, for posting, and for contributing to the thread. Your feedback is valuable, as well as appreciated.

wildjokerdesign
12-16-2004, 02:09 PM
So has anyone noticed the new Member Area yet?
http://members.westhost.com/

Was this what was announced would be released the end of November? I thought it was going to be the Site Manager. Well I just found it so I am going back and explore.

WestHost - MPlatis
12-16-2004, 04:58 PM
I think new packages, a new members area, and new dedicated server plans benefit existing customers. Specials might as well - just depends on what they are and how they are offered.

The primary problem is that the lack of more up-to-date packages is starting to drive existing and potential clients away.

WestHost has to be sensing this. The new packages (and maybe package manager?? just a guess..) must be amazing for them to take that long and WestHost to endure that kind of risk for several more months.

At least one who waits hopes so anyway. :)

We know how crucial it is to get updated software for both existing and new clients. Again this is one of the top priorities. Upgrading individual softwares on many servers would be time consuming and much work, it is much harder than you would think! :) After much planning we decided on making a tool that would implement the new software among all accounts on all servers but developing and testing out this tool has taken some time. This process is something that changes constantly and that is why we do not form a set date.

We appreciate everyone's patience in this matter.

Armadillo
12-17-2004, 01:29 AM
How will that tool effect people like myself who have upgraded the software ourselves?
I'm running MySQL 4.1.7.

Would it be possible to offer the upgrades with the Site Manager?
That way people could upgrade when and if they are ready.

nsc
12-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Hi I would like to offer my comments to the discussion.

First, I would hate to see any custom/upgraded software installed by myself being replaced by an automatic tool. So, I would propose that the tool must check the installed versions and refrain from upgrading VPS with user-installed versions of php/mysql or other software.

Second, I think that upgrading lots of servers automatically is a very usual task of server administration, so perhaps someone else has already developed such a tool and it may even be available as opensource. Perhaps if you could find an already developed opensource tool, you could save development time and finish the job earlier.

Third, I think that Armadillo is right when saying that new php and mysql versions should be available through the Site Manager and let the user to decide whether to upgrade. I would love to see this idea implemented and I really prefer it to automated upgrade via some tool.

Fourth, I think it would be better to refrain from using PHP5 because it is too new and may break some apps. I already use at least two php scripts that are not compatible with php5. If WestHost is going to automatically upgrade all VPS, then I think the best version should is PHP 4.3.10. Regarding MySQL, I really like the new features of MySQL 4.1.8 and I would like WestHost to run this version or 4.0.22 (if 4.1 causes incompatibilities). PhpMyAdmin must also be upgraded.

Fifth, I would love to see new log analyser apps in Site Manager such as AWStats.

coppercup
01-04-2005, 09:18 AM
I can appreciate WestHost's position here, though I am also desperate for the updates.

WestHost is working on the cutting edge of the Sphera VPS technology, even working directly with Sphera improve it. Anyone who has installed or updated Linux server software like MySQL or PHP knows it's not easy. To do it from a completely automated system must be a trick.

That said, I agree with those who would like to see the ability to install/upgrade any particular VPS at will from within the Site Manager. This option, while making it even more of a trick I'm sure, would seem to provide the most flexibility.

WestHost - BErickson
01-14-2005, 08:51 PM
Please see the post I made HERE (http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=14505#14505) regarding updates to PHP and MySQL.