PDA

View Full Version : Accidentally blocked all email

brdsolutions
06-16-2004, 03:59 AM
I have a slight problem I don't know if anyone has any thoughts of were the mail is or went?
In editing the /etc/procmailrc , incoming mail to all the users stopped for about 12 hrs until I restored the file with an original copy. The edited version did not have any different in it then a normal procmailrc file with spamassassin installed.
Westhost support said the mail might be queued but I am losing faith in that. I pulled this line from /var/log/maillog

Jun 15 08:17:10 mydomain.com procmail[6325]: Enforcing stricter permissions on "/var/spool/mail/bbarrett

Any advise would be great.

jalal
06-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Thank you for the advice, I think I am almost there but before I can finish up I have a slight problem I don't know if you have any thoughts of were the mail is or went?
In editing the /etc/procmailrc incoming mail to all the users stopped until I restored the file with an origional copy. (but now it does not flag the spam)
Westhost support said the mail might be queued but I am losing faith in that. I pulled this line from /var/log/maillog

Its hard to say where the emails went to as I'm not to sure what you ended up with in your procmail recipes. You can check in the /var/spool/mail directory, which is where stuff often ends up.
The problems with the procmailrc sound like you have it in Windows format or something like that. It needs to be in Unix format.

Jun 15 08:17:10 mydomain.com procmail[6325]: Enforcing stricter permissions on "/var/spool/mail/bbarrett

This is nothing to worry about, it seems to appear on all installation

Sorry to bug you with this but you seem to know a bit about this procmail

I like to help if I can...

HTH

FZ
06-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Have you actually tried checking your mailq? It's very likely that unless you explicitly set Procmail to delete mail (or move it to a mailbox) that the mail was queued.

SJP
06-16-2004, 10:54 PM
I second FZ's suggestion. When I was monkeying around with procmail I noticed by accident that if the launched program returned an error (as nonsense would) the mail wasn't disturbed.

SJP

Corrado Fiore
07-05-2004, 07:08 AM
The problems with the procmailrc sound like you have it in Windows format or something like that. It needs to be in Unix format.

I had the same problem (blocked all emails) because I edited procmailrc using a windows text editor. I then saved it in Unix format (using EditPad Pro) and worked fine. Thanks Jalal! :D