PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to try installing openwebmail on my vps ?

firebirdfan
05-28-2004, 12:03 AM
I would like to know if anyone would like to test out installing openwebmail on my vps system ? I have a couple of domains to play around.. a site that's not that critical.. so anybody ?

I'll give you access to it , just dont crash my site permanently.

thanks... becoz me linux command skills aint that good... ?

adpwl1
05-28-2004, 04:40 PM
I can do one better than that. If anyone is willing to write up instructions for Firebird and myself and everyone else that would like to use Openwebmail on a WH site, I will supply a VSP & domain that you have full access to and with no worry about crashing a site.

I can even rebuild the VSP in a matter of an hour if you crash it so bad I need to delete the VSP and recreate it.

Firebird and myself are not Linux guys at all and with us not having Root on the VSP, OpenWebmail can't finish installing.

Any one interested?

FZ
05-29-2004, 07:56 AM
I'll give it a shot - I'm not a Linux expert, but I am quite familiar with the WestHost VPS architecture... PM me account details if you think I am worthy ;)

adpwl1
05-29-2004, 01:33 PM
FZ, thanks for taking this on.

I sent you the info, let us know your progress!!!

FZ
06-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Just wanted to update anyone else that was watching this topic: It isn't possible, unfortunately.

Openwebmail needs to run as root - it refuses to do anything unless and until that happens. I got the modules and everything installed (and had to use a few "hacks" here and there), but in the end going to openwebmail.pl with a browser revealed this message:

'/var/www/cgi-bin/openwebmail/openwebmail.pl' must setuid to root

I found an FAQ on the Openwebmail site related to that, but the proposed solution did not work. At that point I gave up.

firebirdfan also confirmed with a "WestHost sysadmin" that installation of Openwebmail is not possible on the WestHost VPS architecture, but it is on a (WestHost) dedicated server.

Sorry it didn't work out.