PDA

View Full Version : on-line update of web page(s)

ccwebb
05-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Hello!

I am looking for free/low cost program that will allow a user to do on-line updating of content on a web page.

Anyone doing this? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Charlie

wildjokerdesign
05-25-2004, 09:28 AM
I have been looking at HtmlArea http://www.interactivetools.com/products/htmlarea/ The big problem that I see with it is that the user needs to use I.E. as a browser and be on a Windows OS. The advantage to it is that any <textarea> in a form can use it just by inserting some code into the page. Oh and it is free.

I have looked at alot of programs and they are all pretty similiar to the above if you are looking for WYSIWYG editors that are free or low cost. Those I have found that do not relie on I.E. are so pricey that I am not willing to take a risk on them.

ccwebb
05-25-2004, 09:35 AM
WildJoker:

Thanks - I'll check out the link.

Charlie

ccwebb
05-25-2004, 12:08 PM
WildJoker:

Re: htmlarea

Htmlarea seems to be a "textarea decorator"...ie it gives someone a lot of options when entering text.

But it doesn't have anything to do with the data after it is entered. Right?

Here is what I am looking to do. There is a page on the site that anyone can look at. That page has a text area on it but Joe Public can not change it.

I want the owner of that page to be able to make on-line changes in the text area so that the next time Joe Public looks at the page he sees the new info.

Charlie

jalal
05-25-2004, 01:26 PM
Maybe try a Wiki?

PhpWiki is pretty good. But there are many, many others.

HTH

wildjokerdesign
05-25-2004, 04:41 PM
Hi Charlie,

I checked Jalal's suggestion found it in google with "PhpWiki" and it may be what you are looking for although it looks like it is more for a site where anyone can edit stuff but did not dig real deep.

You are right about the htmlarea it only turns the textarea into a more robust area for entering info.

I use something similiar to htmlarea on a users site where they can go to an admin area and log in. They then choose the page they wish to edit and the script finds the content and displays it in the textarea for them to edit. Once they are finnished they submit it and the page is updated. Right now it is all running on a perl script I hacked together that looks at the original page and finds the area I want them to be able to edit. I define that area by placeing it between html comments i.e. <--Start--><--End--> When it is submitted it goes back and insertes the new data between the comments. Pretty simple and straight forward. On some pages I allow them to edit more then one area and on those the start and end comments are defined differently i.e. <--Start1--><--End1--><--Start2--><--End2-->. Now that they are on 2.0 I really need to rewrite the whole thing in php and take advantage of mysql but since it seems to be working for them have not done it yet.

ccwebb
05-25-2004, 08:43 PM
WildJoker:

I just found something similiar - called snippetmaster lite (you pay for the pro version).

It seems to meet my needs.

It does an update of what ever is placed between <snippet> and </snippet> in the html.

Thanks for your help!

Charlie

wildjokerdesign
05-26-2004, 06:59 AM
Your welcome. I'll have to check out smippetmaster lite and see what it is like.