PDA

View Full Version : limit Whois information

J_M
05-21-2004, 08:37 AM
What is the minimum information that is needed for Domain Name information. How are some names registered somewhat anonymously. I'd like to limit the amount of info that is easily accessible through Whois, any tips.

thanks,

J

WestHost - MMellor
05-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Hello J,

For the most part it is up to you how much information that you put into the WHOIS. Just remember that anybody can have access to that information. That will include people that want to contact you for business as well as people that could possible be angry with you. It is a good rule of thumb to put in your business information while leaving out any personal information.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

jalal
05-21-2004, 01:51 PM
It also depends on which TLDs you are asking about. For example, with a .uk or a .de domain, very little information is given out.
My registrar (GANDI) supplies a check box which, when ticked, stops the sharing out of information, many registrars don't offer that option.

And if you want real privacy, then you can try something like DomainsByProxy or similar.

J_M
06-21-2004, 03:09 PM
The Westhost domain manager requires all of the fields to be filled in. Do I just put in erroneous info?

thanks,

j

jalal
06-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Not advisable.
If you ever need to prove that it is your domain you won't be able to.

J_M
06-22-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't mind giving out my info to the registrars but I don't understand why it needs to be published, and how do the big companies keep that info anonymous?

j