PDA

View Full Version : Immediate Spam on New Email Addy

murf
05-11-2004, 05:50 PM
We have been getting so much spam mail since moving over to WestHost on exsisting email accounts. So I set up a new account and only gave it to one person over the phone and immediately received spam mail within 2 days and more since. Most of the spam is for website logos web related material for the new addy. Now this email address was not given out on any site nor used to email anyone, it was just given out over the phone to one person as I mentioned and was set up to avoid Spam. How can spam get to the account that fast? Is our email addresses being sold by WestHost?

Is there no way around this problem using WestHost?

murf

jalal
05-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Is the addy info@mydomain.com???

Do you have a catchall email address?

?

murf
05-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Yes that was the addy.

When you say catchall, do you mean like the info one? We have one for each person and the company name and all of them are getting big time spam and viruses. So I thought I would try to set up new accounts and ran into spam.

Any insight to avoiding this would be of help. While we had a few spams with the old host it seems it has really taken off and one of the private emails gets at least 20-30 spam emails a day, the other one I keep adding to block sender using outlook. Westhost Webmail does not give this option online.

I have already created an outside email account to direct "Email Me" emails from the site. But when people are on the storefront part of the site, orders are going to the store email address.

The personal email addy's were not on the site, but get the same spam mail as the site email addy for many of the spam emails sent. Could this be because of using a persons name in general and the spammer tries all names?

wildjokerdesign
05-12-2004, 07:46 AM
If you look in your Site Manager under Email/FTP you'll see right under the postmaster email at the top a Catch All. If you disable this feature then it can help cut down on spam. Catch All being enabled means that a spammer can send email to any name they want to at your domain and it well be accepted and delivered to the default email address.

Another thing to be aware of is that spammers know that there are some email addresses that many people use so they well simply send spam using those names. Some examples I can think of off hand are...

info
support
sales
store
webmaster

There are others but those are the ones that come to mind. When you set up email addresses try to make them as unique as you can. If you go in and disable catch all I think you'll see a dramatic change.

murf
05-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Thank you for this info. I will go in and change the Catch All. I so appreciate your help!!! See you learn something new everyday!

Murf

murf
05-12-2004, 12:35 PM
I am in my site manager and under E-mail/FTP Management and it appears that there isn't any catch all box to disable under Aliases. There is the Postmaster Destination one which can not be removed but nothing under that to check. Am I missing something? :roll: [/img]

jalal
05-12-2004, 01:37 PM
No, just means that you don't have a catch-all address. Its not there by default.

I get hundreds of spam to info@, so I changed the address to infos@ or information@, that seems to dodge most of them.

Also note that SpamAssassin (if you have that installed, maybe not) simply flags mail that it thinks is spam, its up to you to decide what to do with it.

HTH