PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 2 VDS Accounts having same IP Address

jhmisa
05-10-2004, 01:34 AM
Hello, I have already called support about this question and it seemed like they canít help me, I hope this forum would be able to answer some questions which bothers me. I have a reseller account and I have added several domains. I noticed recently that I couldnít email between 2 domains. (invibra.com and royaltrust.net). invibra.com can email any domain except for royaltrust.net and royaltrust.net on the other hand can email any domain except for invibra.com. I found this particularly strange, when I used the ping command to get the IP Addresses, I found out that invibra.com and royaltrust.net used the same IP address 69.36.162.46 (all my other domains in the reseller group used a different IP address). I think this is the problem (Iím not 100% sure though). To try to solve the problem, I deleted the invibra.com account and installed it again (in a hope that it would assign a different IP address) but to my surprise, it still assigned the same IP address as before. Would somebody be able to help me pls.

Best regards,
Joey

wildjokerdesign
05-10-2004, 07:22 AM
Depending on your package and how it is set up you should have only one IP address that all the accounts are shareing. I think some come with more IPs but for the most part the domains that you ad are namebased accounts meaning that they share IP addresses. You do have the option to purchase extra IP based accounts from West Host if you need to.

I don't think this should be affecting your email problem. How are you tryig to send the emails to each account. Is it through your mail program on your local computer or do you have a script on the sites that you are trying to do it from? Some of the accounts I have on my Resseller account share IP's and I don't seem to have any problems emailing between them but for the most part I do not have a need to do that so maybe I have just never noticed it. I do run test on scripts and such from time to time between some of them and have only run into a problem when there is something wrong with the script.

There is one thing I can think of. Are the email address you are trying to send between "real" email accounts or simply aliases you have set up. I think I remember a problem one user was having and it was because they needed to set up email accounts instead of just aliases. That may be the problem. I think maybe when domains are on the same IP they are sending the mail internally and the set up has problems recognizeing aliases in that instance.

adpwl1
05-10-2004, 09:48 AM
There was a bug at one time and I don't know if it is fixed, that when creating ID's in the Site Manager, you also needed to create an FTP account. You would/could then go and disable the FTP access in the account.

The reason behind this was that there was a bug in account creation and something was not getting set correctly and the only way to set it was to grant FTP access then disable it if you didn't want it.

The issue people saw: You could send and receive email from WH accounts to accounts outside of the WH environemnt, but sending from WH to WH was an issue.

Give this a try and see if it solves your problem. I know it solved my a few months back.

Here is an old post about the problem I mention.

http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1475

wildjokerdesign
05-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Joey what Andy mentions above is what I was thinking about when I was talking about a real email account as opposed to an aliase.

When a real email account is created (with ftp) it has a home directory. Aliase accounts have no home directory attached to them.

jhmisa
05-11-2004, 01:50 AM
Hello, I tried your suggestion by activating the FTP on the 2 accounts (info@invibra.com & jhmisa@royaltrust.net) and I sent an email from info --> jhmisa and jhmisa --> info but I still have the same error. Maybe the information I gave was very little so I'll add a few more.

I have a Reseller Account - Reseller 1As we all know a Reseller 1 offers 1 static IP and several VDS accounts.
I have created several domains under this account.

Domain Name IP Address
albatelcorp.com 69.36.161.61 --
bytedrive.com 69.36.181.15
gpcjapan.com 69.36.161.61 --
invibra.com 69.36.162.46 ++
jp-orion.com 69.36.161.169
royaltrust.net 69.36.162.46 ++

as you can see, there are 4 accounts that share 2 IP addresses. albatelcorp.com can't send an email to gpcjapan.com but can send to all other accounts. gpcjapan.com on the other hand can send to all accounts except to albatelcorp.com. invibra.com and royaltrust.net which has the same ip address also has the same characteristics (can send to all, except to each other).
Today I have created the following accounts for testing test@albatelcorp.com and test@gpcjapan.com both account, I have activated the ftp account as suggested. When I tried sending, it still posted the same errors..
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the error that it gave me was the following....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<test@albatelcorp.com>: host albatelcorp.com[69.36.161.61] said: 550 5.7.1 <test@albatelcorp.com>... Relaying denied
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please help me, if you want I could give you access to royaltrust.net account and invibra.com account so that you can test for yourself. I know that it could be dangerous to do this but I'm thinking I'd be in deeper trouble if I won't be able to solve this sooner.

Please help..

Joey

wildjokerdesign
05-11-2004, 08:31 AM
It sounds like you have taken all the correct steps. The error that you are getting I think can be overcome. I am not very good when it comes to the whole email thing and manipulating the settings so I would not be compfortable working in your setup. I think that WestHost should be able to help you with this. It may have been they did not understand your problem. Here is what I do understand.

There is a way to add domains that are allowed to relay mail in your config files for each domain. In /ect/mail there is a file called relay-domains and I think that is where you could maybe add the domains. I am not sure what the process would be to go about it and if you could simply download the file and add them via a text editor and then upload the new file or if you would some how need to add them via an SSH session. I can't remember if anyone has tried this or not and I am simply drawing this conclusion from looking at the files and what they are named and what is in them.

I think I'll go down to the email section of the forum and post a message with a link to this thread to try and get one of the users who know email better to notice it. They may be better able to tell us if what I have in mind would work and the steps to do it with out messing anything up.

jhmisa
05-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Thanks man! I'll try to hang on until cavalry arrives...

wildjokerdesign
05-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Give this thread a read. It is dealing with an old issue but does talk about the relay_domains file. http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=694&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start =0 Scroll down the page and look for a post by Glocom that has a link to the sendmail page that deals with relaying. May not be the answer and perhaps the calvary will still arrive but untill then never hurts to read up on things. :)

I did post down in the email section and added a link to this thread.

jhmisa
05-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Thanks Wildjokerdesign for all your efforts! I wish that you would be there to help again when people like me need support.!

Finally westhost replied to me. Iíd post it here so that the next person that comes across this problem would have an immediate solution..

According to Mr. Chris Simiskey Ė Technical Support Manager of westhost
Although I do not know the exact details why, the use of a 3rd party SMTP server such as your ISP's will prevent e-mail from being sent from one name-based account to another name-based account with the same IP address. If you were using the account's SMTP server, you would be good to go, but we also realize that this is not possible in some cases. So in order to fix this, log into the Site Manager of the account in question, click E-Mail/FTP Management, click Settings, and uncheck the box forďEnable/disable the site's mail server as outgoing mail server" and click update. Once done for each name-based VDS that this affects, then you will be able to send from one to the other without a problem through your 3rd party smtp server. I have completed this for 'albatelcorp.com' already. If you need anything further, please let us know.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

wildjokerdesign
05-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Hmm... They only thing I wonder about this solution is if it would now be impossible to use a script on your site that sends out email. Might be something to keep in the back of your mind if for some reason you install something like the phpBB that lets folks email others from the board or even if you wanted to use FormMail.

UPDATE: I went ahead and asked WH Support about this and they Chris got back to me and said that disableing this should not affect sending mail out from the domain.