PDA

View Full Version : Sendmail Milter

wiltech
05-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Email gurus,

I'm really soaking up the great info on upgrading and configuring spamassasin and procmail rules. Thanks! good stuff. :D

My favorite client (the one who complains the most but pays most of the bills) is getting fed up with viruses. He's been spoiled by ISPs that filter/delete viruses and wants that on his domain account.

I'm working throught the installation of ClamAV 0.7 (when I get it installed I'll post instructions/results). I noticed that during the configure of the clamav make files that libmilter was not found. Checked the version of Sendmail on the VPS (sendmail -bt -d0) and found that milter was not compiled into sendmail. Many of the more robust virus solutions for sendmail use the milter api. So I'd hoped to have this available.

Does anyone know of a way to enable milter support for sendmail on our VPSs? Could I compile a version of sendmail and install the libmilter file somewhere (doubtful). Any way to replace the server sendmail with a local version on a VPS (similar to upgrading spamassasin)?

There is a clamassasin script that uses clamav to identify a viral attachement and adds a header to the email aka spamassassin. Then procmail can deal with it accordingly. That's probably what I'll start with but thought I'd throw the question out there.

Thanks for all the great brain power!
Kalin

FZ
05-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Hi Kalin,

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your Sendmail woes, but I can say that there have been a few topics on virus filtering before. The easiest way to do it is using Procmail (just do a forum search), although it is quite primitive and does not scan mail (only filters by attachment type, for example).

wiltech
05-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks FZ. I'll let you know how it works out with clamassassin. If it works it should be a little better than just a procmail scan of attachment type since it used clamav to scan the email for virus signatures.

Thanks for the help.

Kalin

FZ
05-07-2004, 12:18 AM
No problem... I'd love to know how it works out for you as I have looked into installing clamAV a few times myself, but was either too lazy or was intimidated about the difficulties of installing it on our VPS (without root access).