PDA

View Full Version : Potential Customer with some questions

Nnyan
05-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Hello all here are some questions/concerns that I have.

1) Does each e-mail account have the ability to modify its own password/settings via the webmail client?

2) What files "count" toward your storage amount (EX. Do scripts, base server files, installed applications, etc... or is it JUST the actual files in your domains HTML folders?

3) Full root access? If not will I have the ability to install applications?

4) What is the actual procedure for recovering from a backup (can I do that from CP or do I need to e-mail a request to support) and with what specificity can I restore (just a DB, folder, domain or complete VDS)? What is the difference in the proceedure as per your daily backups and your snapshots?

5) What version of MySQL (and if 3.X can I upgrade to 4.X from the CP)?

6) What applications are "one-click" install and can I upgrade them to the latest versions?

7) Is there any monitoring for services other then http (mysql, ssh etc...)?

8) Can I change the VDS/VPS timezone/date/time to reflect mine?

Thank you for your time!

Rafael

wildjokerdesign
05-05-2004, 10:31 PM
1.) Each email account can modify their password via what we have started calling a mini Site Manager. They also have control over an Autoresponder and Autoforward if you enable it when you create the account.

2.) All files count toward your storage amount but the default installs on a account are like 3% or less. You would really have to work hard to fill up your space I think.

3.) Not really full "root" access WestHost retains that but you can install applications via SSH. Some things take a bit of extra effort but we have found some short cuts and helps that you can find in the forum here and there are a couple users that have poste help pages on their account. You can find links to them via the link in my sig.

4.) Not sure on the procedure for back up of things. You can install phpMyAdmin via the Site Manager to do back ups of your mysql database and recover that anytime you want.

5.) Can't remember the version on mysql right off hand. You should be able to update it but not via the Site Manager you whould have to do it via SSH. Not sure if anyone has tried that yet.

6.) All the applications listed in the packages are one click installs if they are not installed by default but again are not upgradeable via the SiteManager but via SSH.

7.) Not sure what your asking here so can't really give an answer maybe one of the other users can help on that one.

Last I heard updateing the timezone was not possible. It was tried at one time but that was awhile ago. It is best to handle the conversion with any scripts you are using.

Hope that helps some sorry I was not able to answer all your questions. I am sure some other users well have comments and may even correct me or elaborate on what I had to say. Feel free to ask any other questions we try to help each other out here when we can.

WestHost - MMellor
05-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Hello Nnyan,

It looks like WildJoker has answered most of your questions. Here are a couple other tidbits:

4) As far as backing up your data take a look at : http://manual.westhost.com/part4.html#utilities There is also a video there you can download that will show you exactly what you need to do.

5) MySQL: mysql --version
Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.56, for pc-linux (i686)

7) As far as monitoring we do offer apache watchdog which monitors the http side of your server. As far as monitoring for mysql there are third party programs that you are more than welcome to install on your VPS.

Let us know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else we can help you with.

Nnyan
05-06-2004, 10:51 AM
3. As long as I can SU and install applications via SSH I'll be fine with this limitation. Is that what they mean by virtual root?

4. I really meant to say I was looking on how data is recovered. WH mentions they do snap shots every few hours, do I need to contact them to recover from one of them or can I do this from the CP? With what specificity (files, folder, db, domain) can you restore to? What is the typical response time?

5. Just noticed it was 3.x. I upgraded my current host to 4.0 so that should be fine, I'll just have to get this upgraded to 4.0 before I move my websites. Any plans on updating to 4.x?

6. How often does WH upgrade its one click applications and will they upgrade these on request (keeping them one click) even if at an extra charge?

7. I've had issues with several of these monitoring apps, but I guess I can play around with VIM again so this is fine.

Does WH have any servers on the west coast? I had some issues changing the timezone on my current host but was able to do so after I sym linked local time to /share/zoneinfo/... using this command:

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Los_Angeles /etc/localtime

was this what was tried previously?

Thank you guys for taking your time to answer my questions!

wildjokerdesign
05-06-2004, 11:42 AM
If you have not already you might want to take a look at the live demo of the CP/Site Manager http://demo.westhost.com/

4.) Just took a look at the backup feature in the Site Manager and it looks like you have the option to backup
All files
Email mailboxes only
Content files only
Virtual user (FTP + Email)
Directory

You then can choose "File modified in the last _____ Days ago" and then you password protect the file.

When you go to restore a backup you get a screen with the list of the back ups you have done. Once you choose the backupfile it takes you to a page where you can choose from that backup the files you wish to restore. The backup also let me download a copy of it to my local computer.

Kind of cool. I a had never used the backup and restore in the Site Manager before.

This is seperate from the snapshots that WH does I am almost sure and if you needed to restore from a snapshot you would most likely have to contact support and have them do it. Not sure on the turn around time on that.

6.) I think that once you install an App it would be up to you to keep it upgraded. So far I have never seen a one click upgrade in the Site Manager. Could always happen... we are always bugging WH for new things and they try their best to please us.

I think all of WH servers are in UTAH. http://www.westhost.com/datacenter.html

Not sure what was tried on the timezone issue before that is one area that is still a bit beyound me. I do know that you can create Sym links. I know just enough about SSh to get myself in trouble. Jalal, Fayez and some of the others are better with those issues.

FZ
05-06-2004, 04:00 PM
As far as I know, you cannot SU on the WestHost VPS, so you are stuck with the limitations of being "virtual root". As Shawn mentioned before though, lots of stuff can be worked around (albeit with a lot more effort needed than there should be).

As for upgrading apps, to be honest the versions that are available in the Site Manager (and have not changed since August last year) are a little old, so I don't think WestHost plans on keeping everything cuttingedge. I think they'll only be doing upgrades on programs that have severe bugs or security issues pop up. However, you have enough control over your account via SSH to be able to install newer versions yourself, should you require this.

As for the timezone issue, I tried to come up with a way to change it, but it seemed to be really inconsistent: it worked for some things in some apps, and also didn't seem to work for all people that tried it, and so it was causing more trouble than it was worth. Eventually it was decided that there was no way to change the timezone "properly".

Nnyan
05-06-2004, 08:22 PM
Is there somewhere I can get a list of the versions for the one-click installs?

Also is there any documentation as to the exact limitations of this virtual root?

How would you compare WestHost.com to Bluewho.com?

FZ
05-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Have you tried the Site Manager demo? It's at: http://demo.westhost.com

A few of the applications reveal their version numbers (in your status bar) when you hover over the links. You might also want to check out http://www.westhost.com/packages.html and http://manual.westhost.com/ for more info.

I don't think there is any documentation detailing exactly what limitations there are on the VPS, besides the threads in this forum. Basically, WestHost has "write-protected" only the most crucial files (by way of permissions, that is), such as Perl Modules and "VPS system files". Every other configuration file, such as the configuration for Apache, Sendmail and so forth is "editable" by you.

Sorry, I've never tried bluewho.com, so I can't compare Westhost with them...