PDA

View Full Version : Dropped Email

theaudioforum
04-27-2004, 10:22 AM
I am new to WestHost and have been configuring my new site. I have had mixed success with email through my domain. Some emails never arrive and others there are no problems. I have checked with "mailq" and there are no messages in the queue. I have noticed the missing emails both inbound and outbound to or from my domain. The problem is most prevalent when sending mail back and forth within my own domain. My server is 69.36.161.116. Any assistance on how to troubleshoot this issue would be greatly appreciated. I must have reliable email.

jalal
04-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Your best bet is to get the guys at Westhost to look into it. If its a new setup then it should 'just work'. Try and give them as much info as possible, they are pretty on the ball these days.

Should you wish to get your hands dirty (and you know what you are doing in Linux) then you can check out my pages (see .sig) and especially the page on logging.

But, best to ask for WH support.

HTH

FZ
04-27-2004, 11:32 AM
The problem is most prevalent when sending mail back and forth within my own domain.

This seems to be a known problem. The solution is to assign home directories for the e-mail/FTP accounts that you create (you can do that by enabling FTP access for the account in question, and then you can later disable it, this will create and keep the home directory).

Apart from this, there does seem to be other people that are affected by this (as well as long delays in receiving mail). My guess would be that either WestHost had some downtime (or were doing some maintenance) that inadvertantly caused you to lose mail (when you shouldn't, the sending mail server should keep trying for a few days). Alternatively, if you just had your account set up, it's possible that your DNS records haven't propagated fully and some people can't get mail through to you. Of course, I'm just guessing, but you should definitely contact WestHost as Jalal suggests, and ask them what's up.

Keep us updated.

theaudioforum
04-27-2004, 12:05 PM
I looked at the log at /usr/home/theaudioforum/mbox and discovered many of the missing emails. There was a typo in the address that was coming from my code.

Thank you for the excellent link jalal!

FZ - I'll implemt the home directories as you mentioned to further ensure that I don't have a problem

Thanks!!

FZ
04-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Typos... Gotta love 'em ;) Glad you sorted it out.