PDA

View Full Version : Forwarding Email to Oblivion

jim
04-26-2004, 05:52 PM
A few years ago I saw an email address one could use to forward email to the ether. It went into the bit bucket somewhere and lived no more. Does someone know that address? I have a username that is getting large amounts of email and I want to kill it.

jalal
04-27-2004, 05:40 AM
/dev/null

wildjokerdesign
04-27-2004, 07:20 AM
Jim couldn't simply remove the email account via your Site Manager. If you do not have the catchall enabled then that email addy should not work.

jim
04-27-2004, 07:45 AM
I do use the catchall and have many addresses that depend on it. If worse comes to worse I may have to enter all the addresses and abandon the catchall but I'm not sure I can even figure out all the addresses I've put various places.

wildjokerdesign
04-27-2004, 07:56 AM
I do use the catchall and have many addresses that depend on it. If worse comes to worse I may have to enter all the addresses and abandon the catchall but I'm not sure I can even figure out all the addresses I've put various places.

:) At one point I was like that and decided that if I could not remember the email address then most likely I did not want mail from it. You can always make sure that there is a page on your site that lets folks know how they can contact you if the email address they had is not working. Just don't list the email as a link put it in an image or use some other method to hide it from the spam bots.

erich
04-27-2004, 08:00 AM

Long term, you probably want to reign in the number of addresses you use so that you can get them under control. I'd start by adding accounts for addresses you know that you use - then the mail for those accounts will get siphoned off the catchall.

Catchall = Bad

Erich

jim
04-27-2004, 08:23 AM
to: jalal

Your email/spam articles are a nice overview of the mail handling process. One addition might be to explain at what point the autoresponder is triggered. If I were to try to delete incoming mail to an address, in some cases I want send a autoreply for a while explaining what's happened, so people who are still using the address legitimately will know.
Thus I need the deletion to happen after the autoreply has been sent.

Question:

Are you saying I can use /dev/null like an email address in the normal forwarding function in the Site Manager?

jim
04-27-2004, 10:28 AM
I tried it and the email forwarding in Site Manager will not accept /dev/null
as an address. It gives an error message.

jim
04-27-2004, 10:36 AM
[quote=jim]Catchall = Bad
I began using it years ago when web hosts often only provided 3-5 email accounts. So, by the time I could create as many real accounts as I needed I had spread addresses around everywhere. I used key words in the address to identify where it's from and what the purpose of the mail is. There may be as many as 200 different ones.

I kept no records of these addreasses. Obviously on Monday morning this was a mistake.

erich
04-27-2004, 10:41 AM
I tried it and the email forwarding in Site Manager will not accept /dev/null
as an address. It gives an error message.

/dev/null isn't an e-mail address. You need to make this change in a different file on your server.

Try this:
http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1747

Erich

jim
04-28-2004, 10:27 AM
I solved my problem using the method described at http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1747.

In the meantime I learned a way to simply forward mail to oblivion.

Set up an account here http://www.spamgourmet.com/. For security I'd use the advanced mode and define a prefix. Then start a new address with some small number of uses. Forward your junk to that address and after the few uses are used up it will go into the bit bucket.

I haven't tried it but I can't see why it shouldn't work.

This method is not as clean as killing it here on westhost as it creates a little more internet traffic, but it's easy for a novice.

jim