PDA

View Full Version : PHPBB2 Log in problems

tricia
04-26-2004, 09:44 AM
Some people have to log in multiple times for my message board and then it doesn't keep them logged in. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Tricia

j103c
04-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Are they blocking cookies?

torrin
04-26-2004, 09:49 AM
I had a few problems like that when I was using version 2.0.4. Everything has been working fine since I upgraded to the lastest version of phpBB. At this time that version is 2.0.8.

wildjokerdesign
04-26-2004, 09:58 AM
tricia,

Most likely the person does not have cookies enabled. If they are using the browser supplied by AOL then it could also be affecting this and the best solution is for them to download a non AOL version of thier favorite browser and use that instead when they access your forum. I have several AOL users on different phpBB boards that have to do this. Not sure if an upgrade of phpBB well fix that. I don't think it well since it has to do with the limits the AOL browser sets and not the phpBB script. All the boards I maintian have been upgraded to he current version (wich is a good idea by the way since it has some security fixes) but when the users first had the problem it was when they where still at 2.05.

Have you changed any of the cookies settings in your config of late? That can also affect log in. If that is the case you need to suggest to your users that they clear all cookies for you domain from thier browser.

Let use know if any of that fixes your problem.

PS Also if they want to be logged in each time they visit they have to select the Auto Login box when they do log in. If they log out when they leave then it well not log them in automaticlly the next time.

tricia
04-26-2004, 10:19 AM
I will check to see if they are using AOL.

As far as I know, lol, I haven't done anything with the cookies since I installed it.

How do I upgrade the phpbb? I installed what was available in my admin.

Thanks!
Tricia

wildjokerdesign
04-26-2004, 01:29 PM
How do I upgrade the phpbb? I installed what was available in my admin.

Thanks!
Tricia

If you follow the link to the phpBB site at the bottom of this board or yours you can find the infromation for upgradeing on thier site. I am not sure what your current version is but you should be able to tell by looking at the bottom of you board page. On the phpBB site there are several different downloads you can choose from depending on what vesion you are at currently and detailed instructions for updateing. If you have not added any changes to your board then is it should go smoothly. You could run into some snags if you have added mods or are using a template other then the default SubSilver. If you do not understand what that last sentence means then it most likely means you'll have no problems. :)

Let me know once you check the phpBB site if anything does not make since to you and I'll try to lead you through the steps.

P.S. If you want to PM me with the url of your phpBB board I would be happy to take a look at it and try and let you know what version you are using or if I see anything that would snag you up.

wildjokerdesign
04-26-2004, 08:21 PM
tricia,
I went ahead and wrote up a detail of updating to 2.08 here if you want to give it a try... http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10470#10470

tricia
04-26-2004, 08:37 PM
I am using version 2.0.5 and my web designer did customize the colors and such. Here is the link to my board: http://greatballsoffiber.com/phpBB2/index.php. Thank you for taking the time to write details on updating to 2.08. If I do the upgrade will it effect the customization? I would hate to go through that again, lol. But I was also just told by another user the the view posts since last visit isn't working either. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Tricia

wildjokerdesign
04-27-2004, 07:51 AM
Hi tracia even though your webmaster made changes to the color and some images it looks like you are still using the default SubSilver theme.

The only template file that is changed is the index.tpl which is the one for your entry into the forum. You might want to ask your webmaster if they made any changes to the index.tpl file. It doesn't look like they have.

In regard to the view post since last visit. Did you ask them what error they recieved or why they feel it is not working. If there have been no post since thier last visit then no post are displayed but it is going throug the search feature and simply says "Your search did not return any results" or something like that and they may think that means it is not working when in reality it means there are no new post.

From a quick look at your board it looks like a pretty standard install so I don't think you'll have any problems. Do ask your webmaster about the changes he did make. Also when you download and open up the zip files I mention in the other post go through and look at the files you'll be uploading and save a copy of those of your server to your local computer as a backup. If you want to keep thing organized the create a directory on your local computer called backup or somthing similiar and duplicate the directory structer of the phpBB board so you can save those files in the directory they belong in on your server.

tricia
05-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the step by step instructions on this. I finally had a chance to do the upgrade tonight and everything went smoothly!

Thanks again,
Tricia

wildjokerdesign
05-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Great! Glad everything went ok for you.

madsci
07-22-2004, 10:48 PM
I'm useing the latest version and having the same problem, It didn't start untill I moved to westhost.

wildjokerdesign
07-23-2004, 06:59 AM
madsci,
When you moved the forum to WH what changes did you make if any to the config of the board? Did you change anything in the cookies settings?

Are you running the 2.0.10 version they just released or the 2.0.9. There where some bugs in it they had to fix but don't think they had to do with log in. Or did you use the Site Manager to install the WH version of phpBB board and simply move your database to the server?

It most likely has to do with the cookie that is set on the users local computer and phpBB here not being able to find it. If you can get one of the users that is haveing the problem to clear out all cookies for your site you could test that.

madsci
07-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks for your response wild, I actually didn't notice that 2.0.10 was out. I am going to try to upgrade and se eif they still have that problem tonight. I din't change any cookie settings on the configuration. I read a little about the changes on phpbb.com and one of teh files to be updated is teh log on script. I installed php on my old server and just edited the config.php file and copied everything over.

wildjokerdesign
07-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Let us know how it goes. I am having problems keeping up with thier upgrades my self. If you have not added any mods to the board and are using the default subSilver theam then you could most likely simply re-install with 2.0.10. I don't think they made changes to the database.... then again don't take my word I had already forgotten that they had made changes to the log-in :)

madsci
07-23-2004, 08:31 PM
I only had the attach mod, personally I think they should intigrate that inot the board. upgradeing to 2.0.10 didn't fix the problem. I may be wrong but I'll bet you this is a session problem with the server. I'm still looking into it. This is teh exact same database structure, exact same files (except for teh upgrades) as my previous server. The funny thing is, My coppermine gallery had problems on teh old server an dthey went away with this one :?

madsci
07-26-2004, 10:44 AM
tricia,
I don't know if your using the Topics anywhere Mod but that was the problem on my server. The same people who said tehy were having problems logging in also complained that new posts were not being highlighted. When I ask if they were going in through the front page they said yes. I took topics anywhere off and the problem went away. This really didn't make since for me but it worked.

Madsci

wildjokerdesign
07-27-2004, 07:49 AM
Was doing some reading over at phpBB forum and found out why maybe the Topics Anywhere mod is affecting the log in problem. User euskadi has a solution they have found on http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72782&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sta rt=880 it was close to the bottom of the page when I was reading. They felt that the fact that append_sid() was not being used on some of the links and was causing the problem.

I thought I would pass this on in case anyone wants to try and still use Topics Anywhere on a page they where having problems on. It may help.

madsci
07-27-2004, 06:38 PM
Was doing some reading over at phpBB forum and found out why maybe the Topics Anywhere mod is affecting the log in problem. User euskadi has a solution they have found on http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=72782&postdays=0&postorder=asc&sta rt=880 it was close to the bottom of the page when I was reading. They felt that the fact that append_sid() was not being used on some of the links and was causing the problem.

I thought I would pass this on in case anyone wants to try and still use Topics Anywhere on a page they where having problems on. It may help.

Thanks Joker, I may giv ethat a try