PDA

View Full Version : Sudden flood of SPAM and Viruses to 3 Essential Email Addies

Turtlewebs
04-25-2004, 10:30 PM
HELP!!! Can't viruses be stopped at server level - SPAM too for that matter, I am being BOMBARDED through email addresses I cannot change. Can anyone help me?!?!?!

jalal
04-26-2004, 01:38 AM
Install SpamAssassin.

HTH

WestHost - MMellor
04-26-2004, 08:19 AM
Hello Turtlewebs,

We actually can't stop viruses at the server level because we don't know which emails contain viruses. If we were going to do this we would run the risk of deleting some of your emails.

One option that you have is to setup filters within Outlook that will move all of those messages to a folder. You can then empty the folder after looking through it. Let us know if we can help you with anything else.

FZ
04-26-2004, 11:31 AM
Turtlewebs,

If you do a search for "virus" you should find a few posts that deal with deleting e-mails that (potentially) have viruses in them (attachment filtering). The methods used are quite primitive, but do work in most cases. You'll need to use Procmail (if you're unsure just search for "procmail").

As for getting rid of spam, you can decrease the amount you get by using SpamAssassin, as Jalal mentioned, and you can install it via your Site Manager (assuming you are on 2.0). You can also refer to Jalal's excellent web site for more help (it's in his signature). When you do a search for Procmail- and/or virus-related posts, you should come across a few that detail how to stop spam "at the server level" (i.e. so you don't have to download them). Just keep in mind that bandwidth is still being used even if you use these methods, because all it is doing is removing the messages from your e-mail account(s) before you download your mail.