PDA

View Full Version : HTML or RTF Email

dahj
04-20-2004, 09:53 AM
I have always been bothered by the fact that webmail.westhost.com does not allow you to view an HTML or RTF message without clicking on an extra link and opening it up in a new window. That takes a lot of time, and I think is completely unneccessary. Does anyone know why that is the way it is? Is there a way to allow HTML to automatically be viewed in the message body area upon opening a message?

I'm asking this because I have quite a few customers, who like to send messages in an HTML or RTF format, and for me to view their emails takes a lot of time. Even to differentiate between spam and non-spam via this method takes even more of my time.

Is it possible to get this changed? I tried using the options, but honestly we are not given very many options as users of webmail.

Any responses, would be greatly appreciated.

FZ
04-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I believe this is done on purpose by the programmer(s), for security reasons... HTML e-mail (in terms of Spam) is pretty nasty in that there are various "exploits" that can be done so easily that can confirm for the spammer that you have received the mail (and that you've viewed it). I think one way is to use image tags that load images that uniquely identify you - this way, spammers know they have "caught a live one" and will then probably sell your address to others or add it to even more of their own databases as an address that can be spammed. So, I guess the programmers, to avoid having their heads chopped off for writing "bad software", made it so you explicitly have to open HTML mail yourself (manually) and so whatever happens then on is your own "fault".

This is true for Neomail, and having looked at Webmail at WestHost, it seems that it is also true for IMP webmail too. There is no way to turn it off (at least not in Neomail) that I know of, sorry. However, if you are really concerned with this issue, you should look into installing your own webmail program (on your own 2.0 VPS) which has the option to display HTML messages.

FZ
04-21-2004, 05:56 PM
dahj,

Thanks to erich I've found a better alternative to Neomail and IMP (the WestHost-provided webmail solutions). It's called Ilohamail, and it's great. It supports displaying HTML messages (inline) without having to make any additional clicks, and has a lot of options/is very configurable. It was also extremely easy to install, and literally took only 10 minutes (thanks to great documentation).

The only minor gripe I have with it is that it seems to have been coded to get mail via POP3/IMAP, and that's a bit redundant since it is sitting on localhost (and I've configured it to retrieve mail only from my domain). However, I haven't played with all of its features yet, maybe it does have an option to use localhost "properly" instead of actually making a POP3 connection to my domain to retrieve mail...

You can read erich's post for info on where to get it: http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10353#10353

erich
04-23-2004, 12:11 PM
dahj,

Thanks to erich I've found a better alternative to Neomail and IMP (the WestHost-provided webmail solutions). It's called Ilohamail, and it's great. It supports displaying HTML messages (inline) without having to make any additional clicks, and has a lot of options/is very configurable. It was also extremely easy to install, and literally took only 10 minutes (thanks to great documentation).

The only minor gripe I have with it is that it seems to have been coded to get mail via POP3/IMAP, and that's a bit redundant since it is sitting on localhost (and I've configured it to retrieve mail only from my domain). However, I haven't played with all of its features yet, maybe it does have an option to use localhost "properly" instead of actually making a POP3 connection to my domain to retrieve mail...

You can read erich's post for info on where to get it: http://forums.westhost.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10353#10353

FZ,

I'm glad you like IlohaMail. I have no connection to them besides being happy with it.

I actually found IlohaMail because I work for a company that needed WebMail that could handle Asian fonts. This is impossible or cumbersome for many other programs.

The author is fluent in Japanese and English, so he built it with multiple types of character sets in mind. Those of you with site visitors of different nationalities and languages might be interested to know that IlohaMail can handle any language or character set.

IMHO, WestHost should seriously look at IlohaMail to replace their cobbled installation of IMP. IlohaMail is already used by a major Asian ISP, so it can handle the load. With proper promotion, I think IlohaMail could put many other WebMail programs to shame.

I'd love to know, step by step, how to implement IlohaMail on a WH 2.0 server using the MySQL backend (as oppossed to the file based backend), but I suppose this should be a different thread.

Erich

j103c
04-23-2004, 12:45 PM
I'd love to know, step by step, how to implement IlohaMail on a WH 2.0 server using the MySQL backend (as oppossed to the file based backend), but I suppose this should be a different thread.

I did this - I'm willing to bet FZ did as well. :)

It really wasn't that hard at all. Maybe one of us will get time here soon to post it (I'm at work and would rather do it at home later), in a new thread of course... ;)

Jess

FZ
04-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Erich,

I agree with you that IlohaMail should be added to the Site Manager (but that localhost mail thing is still annoying, and might be an excuse to reject using IlohaMail).

Anyway, I haven't tried using mySQL as a backend (although Jess was really close, I almost did, but then had a look at the differences between files and mySQL, and decided it wasn't worth the effort). As Jess says though, it shouldn't really be difficult at all - if the file based install is anything to go by, it should be simple. You should give it a go and if you have problems, just ask on the forum :)