PDA

View Full Version : account only receives email from other vps user accounts

<-- R O B -->
04-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi All

First let me explain my set up:
I'm running email accounts for different urls e.g. rob@mainsite.com is mapped to a user rob.mainsite.com in the virtusrtable and rob@secondsite.com is mapped to rob.secondsite.com.
This has been working without a hitch since I opened my account.

I've set up a new email account within my vps - mailhost@example.com
The domain example.com has email enabled for it.
I've set up the user mailhost.example.com and enabled email for that account, from within the site manager
I've then ssh'd into the server and amended /etc/mail/virtusertable so that it has the following entries:

MAILER-DAEMON@example.com MAILER-DAEMON
mailhost@example.com mailhost.example.com
@example.com mailhost.example.com

When I send email from rob@mainsite.com it is received by the account, but when i send it from another email account, not on the same vps, it is not received.

In the back of my mind there is something I know I haven't done - but I can't remember for the life of me, can someone help me out !

Cheers

<-- R O B -->
04-13-2004, 10:39 AM
hmm might help if i set up the MX record for the domain name.....just waiting to see if that was the only problem!

wildjokerdesign
04-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Would you need to do something in the /ect/mail/aliases file? Not sure what would be needed for sure but it may be worth takeing a look at the file.

<-- R O B -->
04-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi

I've not edited anything in /etc/mail/aliases in the past - not that I'm even sure what it does :P

I looked at the MX record and it was set to forward email to a default account - not mine but our admin person! So I checked her account and bingo there were all the emails.
I've udpated the mx record now, so I hoping everything is fixed

Cheers