PDA

View Full Version : Getting "Internal Server Error" -- May be database

Shy Cloud
04-12-2004, 01:04 PM
Greetings!

I have been testing Content Management Systems at my web site, http://www.shycloud.com, and have installed three different ones in this order: Greymatter, Nucleus and Movable Type.

I also had a phpBB2 Message Forum up and running.

All worked at least partly, but now I'm getting this message when I try to access them:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request. Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@shycloud.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error. More information about this error may be available in the server error log. [Apache/1.3.26 Server at www.shycloud.com Port 80]

I'm wondering if I fouled up my database, and I'm not sure I was trying to use it correctly anyway. :(

I had all of the above programs trying to use one database. It seemed to be working, then I started getting the error messages.

Can I run all of these things from a single database, or do I need a separate database for each program?

What could be causing the error messages? What should I try to fix?

I am still stuck on WestHost 1.0, and I see several tools that might be of help to me if I were on 2.0, such as phpMyAdmin. Can I get them for 1.0?

Thanks for any help you can offer me! I've been sending EMERGENCY messages to WestHost Support since 1 a.m. but have yet to receive any help from them! :(

David

wildjokerdesign
04-12-2004, 01:33 PM
I think that WestHost can install phpMyAdmin on your 1.0 account if you request it but not sure. If you are on 1.0 you are only going have one database I think or atleast that was how it used to be.

I think you have done the best thing by contacting support. I can't think of anything you can do with a 1.0 account on your own. Could be something through SSH but I never played with it much when on 1.0 so not sure how much you can do or what it would be.

Shy Cloud
04-12-2004, 01:39 PM
Do you know if I can operate more than one thing from a single database? I had phpBB2, Greymatter and Nucelus all working, but now that I've added Movable Type too, I can't seem to access anything! I was going to move the Greymatter stuff to MT and delete both Greymatter and Nucleus, but now I can't get to any of them to move or delete anything! :(

Thanks for replying! I've seen your WestHost forum and might have posted there next!

David :wink:

FZ
04-12-2004, 03:32 PM
Hi David,

Yes, you should definitely be able to "run" more than one "thing" from a single database. Of course that depends on what you are running: if there are conflicting table names, for example, then you are going to have lots of trouble: that is probably what happened in this case (e.g. one program wrote to a table that another was using). However, the fact that you get an "internal server error" tells me your problem probably has nothing to do with the database anyway - it seems to be an error in Apache, such as incorrect permissions or a misconfigured .htaccess in a directory - impossible to tell unless one can have a look at your error_log (which you might not even have access to seeing as you are on 1.0).

As for PhpMyAdmin, it's extremely simple to install, and yes, it will work on 1.0 with no problems. Not sure if WestHost would do that for you as Shawn suggested, but you can manage it yourself if they can't.

Keep us updated on your progress.

wildjokerdesign
04-12-2004, 06:20 PM
Thanks for chimeing in Fayez! I was starting to get over my head. I had wondered about the overwritting of a table used by anouther program. Would you know if there was anyway for David to start and stop mysql via SSH on 1.0? I was wondering if that would help. I know I locked up my database on 2.0 and that fixed things. I was not getting an Internal server error on the programs though.

David, since it happened after Moveable type was installed do you know what tables that modified or other files it could have modified on the server? That could maybe help us figure things out.

FZ
04-12-2004, 06:41 PM
No problem, Shawn. As far as I know, on 1.0 accounts, we had no control over processes that were running on the server - because (I think) there was only one Apache process, one mySQL process, etc. per server...

David, is any other part of your site affected? Or are you only not able to get access to these programs that you installed? If so, I recommend you "clean up" (delete) the directories used for these programs, and install PhpMyAdmin to "clean up" (delete) the tables created by them in your database, and then start fresh with only one program.

Shy Cloud
04-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Shawn and FZ:

Thanks for your input! I eventually ended up on the phone with WestHost for about 45 minutes, then they hung up to work on it without me.

Here's what they just wrote to me:

"The issue with the cgi-bin should be resolved, all the links that you sent in the recent correspondence should work now. The /cgi-bin/ directory was being accessed with the wrong permissions, was one of the issues."

Everything does indeed seem to be working now.

They also told me to research Meta Refresh as the best way to fix it so that when people type in www.shycloud.com they will get taken to my Movable Type index.html within shycloud.com/cgi-bin/movabletype/index.html.

When I currently type in that address (shycloud.com/cgi-bin/movabletype/index.html), however, I get that same old Internal Error message, though, so I wonder if trying to set a Meta Refresh to it will work, or if I'll have a new problem.

Do either of you have Movable Type systems that go directly to your web site address, and if so, how do you have them set up to do that?

Thanks again for your advice so far!

David

P.S. -- WestHost also installed phpMyAdmin for me, but I haven't checked it out yet as I wanted to type this reply to the two of you first.

FZ
04-12-2004, 07:08 PM
A "meta refresh" will NOT fix your problem. All it does is redirect the user from one page (www.shycloud.com) to another (www.shycloud.com/cgi-bin/index.html) automatically. Another option, if you don't want to redirect, would be to use SSI (have a look at the 1.0 manual @ http://manual.westhost.com ).

Sorry, I don't have Movabletype, and I've never played with it either.

The "Internal Error" message you are getting is because of the same reason as WestHost quoted: incorrect permissions. In this case, they've fixed your cgi-bin permissions, but you still have incorrect permissions set on your movabletype directory and/or its files (try changing it to 755).

I'm glad WestHost installed PhpMyAdmin on your 1.0 account for you - in fact, only after reading your message did I remember that they had begun offering it to 1.0 users while I was on 1.0 too. It isn't the reason/solution for the internal server error you are still getting though. Try reading the Movable Type help/install files to see what permissions need to be set on the various files/folders.

Shy Cloud
04-15-2004, 02:47 AM
Shawn and Fayez:

Thanks for all your help! My Movable Type Content Management System is working at last! You can check it out on my web site:

:arrow: http://shycloud.com/

David ;)

FZ
04-15-2004, 11:08 AM
I'm glad you were able to get it working David - what fixed it? Changing permissions?

Shy Cloud
04-18-2004, 03:44 PM
Fayez:

I think I just still didn't have everything exactly where it should be. Shelley on the Movable Type Forum helped me get everything working finally.

You can check out that conversation here:
http://www.movabletype.org/support/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=39108&s=87994b8b9527dc70cc8 e810d5795be4d

David :wink: