PDA

View Full Version : phpbb installation problem

RThomas
04-12-2004, 11:21 AM
Hello,

I just had my account setup a couple weeks ago and wanted to install phpbb, I used the site manager to do it. I installed mysql first, then went to install phpbb. I typed all the info and it started the install(please wait window) and then it popped this error.

Custom script
/etc/sphera.repository/va/phpBBGroup.phpBB.2.
.5/bin/phpBB_post_vamgr failed with status 1.

Does anybody have a clue of why this happened? If i try to reinstall phpbb it doesn't do anything, doesn't pop the error and doesn't install. Their is a empty directory for phpbb that was created from the first install though in var/lib/mysql/

Any thoughts on how I could fix this?

FZ
04-12-2004, 11:32 AM
I would try to manually remove the folders/files created by the installation (assuming those are known), but not the files in /var/lib/mysql/* (I'll explain why in a minute), since it seems that if an install fails after creating a couple of files, neither uninstalling nor re-installing will ever work. If the files in that folder are the only ones you know have been created, then install PhpMyAdmin via your Site Manager, and then use it to delete the mySQL tables that have been created (I'm pretty sure the data in that /var/lib/mysql/ folder is tables that were created for phpbb).

If that doesn't work, send in a support request to WestHost.

FZ
04-12-2004, 11:35 AM
Also, if you are not absolutely sure about a file/folder, do not risk it - ask (here) if you are not sure before deleting it and possibly making your situation worse!

RThomas
04-12-2004, 12:06 PM
thanks, I will try that this afternoon.

FZ
04-12-2004, 12:13 PM
No problem. Also, don't think that it is your responsibility to fix this problem: it isn't. You have the option of contacting WestHost and having them worry about it, because it is something they provide (and you did "nothing wrong"). I only suggested doing it yourself because you might obtain a quicker resolve to the problem than if you had contacted WestHost. Also, I'm a DIY person, so that plays a factor :)

RThomas
04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Hey,

I instaleld phpmyadmin and dropped the phpbb table. I checked around and didn't see any other folders from the install, and the folder for the table was gone.

Tried to reinstall again, and presto it worked, thanks for the help. I am just curious to why it crashed and burned the first time. Who knows, but it is working now, thanks for the help.

Ya I know I could contact WH about it, but like, I am a do it yourself, its the challenge of fixing it which is nice. Glad it worked, thanks again for your help.

FZ
04-12-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm glad it worked. Why things crash like that are always a mystery - but it does happen (happened to me once or twice too). My theory is it's either just a random problem, or WestHost might have been carrying out some kind of maintenance at that very moment. In any case, the general rule is to manually remove all new files created before attempting a re-install, which usually fixes the problem.